Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bubbles in Brite site glass/possible leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubbles in Brite site glass/possible leak?

So I had 30 bbls in brite tank carbing for 24 hours. Beer is holding at 10 psi head pressure and 33 degrees. I noticed today that the site glass is has continuous bubbles, most small-some large bubbles. Every fitting is tight all around no loss of head pressure. Could I have some kind of leak. its a 4 yr old used tank I have used for a month and haven't noticed this on 2 previous beers. The site level has decreased from 29 bbls to 25 bbls topped with foam---the insulation couldn't hold 4 bbls of beer-could it? Thoughts? If its a pinhole leak how do I find it? if it was leaking this much wouldn't i see it on the floor somewhere? clueless....

thanks,
    Scott

From experience the insulation can't hold that much liquid in it before it starts to leak to the outside, also we're talking beer so the smell would be obvious.

Have you checked the connection to the drain? maybe your drain valve isn't 100% leak proof. Many brewers have that habit of burying the drain pipes deep inside the gutters which makes it almost impossible to notice a leaking valve or malfunctioning one.
    Also I assume that you have checked the top pressure valve.

Comment

bubbles

thanks,
      i forgot to mention the beer was overcarbed a bit and we decreased the headpressure so maybe it was the beer equilizing? I'm canning/kegging off the beer today and will perform a thorough inspection of the welds inside then fill with water and see if the level decreases over the next few days. It was just odd the amount of bubbles in the site glass for over a day. the head pressure remained the same after decreasing the pressure to 10 psi.

thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X