Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brut IPA process in unitank?

Hi,
    Just looking for a little advice on the best way to go about dry hoping and adding amylase enzyme in to a unitank, to make a brut style IPA?
    Thanks.
    D

We add the amylase in the mash tun. Mash at 144 f, that way the enzyme is denatured in the kettle. Drop to 60, harvest yeast, then dryhop. Easy peasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Depends if you'll be reusing your yeast or not. We add the enzyme when we pitch the yeast, it gets all the way down to 0, then we dump the yeast.

If you plan to reuse the yeast, you'll want to use it in the mash to make sure it gets denatured.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll be adding to the unitank.
        I've heard people say to add the amylase when the fermentation is nearly done? So no problem adding it at the start?
        What about dry hop?
        Maybe there is no issues adding the enzyme and hops at any time?

Comment

We've been adding Amylo 300 at pitching, as per manufacturer's instructions. Works fine. As noted, you can't harvest yeast if you use it on the cold side.

Comment

So far I have had the best luck in the mash, and then added at first wort in the kettle while delaying kicking on the heat. Not as dry as it could be, but under 1 Plato...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dirky View Post
              Thanks guys. I'll be adding to the unitank.
              I've heard people say to add the amylase when the fermentation is nearly done? So no problem adding it at the start?
              What about dry hop?
              Maybe there is no issues adding the enzyme and hops at any time?
              I believe that logic behind this is to let yeast to ferment maltose and maltotriose first, and then to work on simple sugars like glucose that have been converted by Amylo.
              This sound like more assertive approach and adding it to mash more conservative.

Comment

Working...
              X