Continuing off flavor in IPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuing off flavor in IPA

Hello fellow brewers. I’ve had this hit and miss problem with several of our IPA’s. I’m getting this horrible medicinal flavor with a bite at the end. At 1st the only thing these beers had in common were that they were all inoculated with harvested slurry. I changed the way I harvest and it seemed to fix it. But now I’ve brewed a neipa and it’s back. It didn’t start right away, it slowly started showing up and was hit or miss if you got it out of the sample port. Now as time has passed you get it all the time. This is plaguing me, all the beers are also dry hopped. Just trying to figure out what is causing this! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Medicinal flavours are typical of chlorine in the brewing water, or CIP residues where chlorinated compounds are used for sanitising. Assuming you are on municipal supply, are you treating your water for chlorine - potassium metabisulphite in the brewing water, or carbon filtration of the brewing water?
    dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
      Medicinal flavours are typical of chlorine in the brewing water, or CIP residues where chlorinated compounds are used for sanitising. Assuming you are on municipal supply, are you treating your water for chlorine - potassium metabisulphite in the brewing water, or carbon filtration of the brewing water?
      Yes, using a carbon filter for chlorine removal

Comment

Originally posted by Brewrench1 View Post
        Yes, using a carbon filter for chlorine removal
        Make sure you aren't exceeding the design flow rate--in fact, stay well under it. If it's a cartridge filter, perhaps it's exhausted.

Regards,
        Mike Sharp

Comment

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you have a sanitation issue. /s Maybe what your describing as medicinal is actually more a bandaid-y phenolic?

Given that you had it and changed a yeast harvesting process and it cleared up and the last batch was a slow start makes me think its sanitation or maybe a yeast viability thing

…...

Comment

Any more info you could give would be helpful. Which yeast strain is this? Is it all the same strain? What’s your wort oxygen regimen like? What hops? Is this always after dry hopping?

Comment

A bit slow to think of this one - but it could be wild yeast infection - producing 4-vinyl guaiacol, rather than simple chlorophenolic compounds. In this case the flavour taint is described as Medicinal or Cloves

The only answer is a fresh yeast culture and scrupulous hygiene in the brewery to prevent the fresh stuff becoming infected. Acid washing won't help as it won't kill off the wild yeast.
              dick

Comment

Working...
              X