Air Compressor Configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Compressor Configuration

I'm putting in an air compressor for the serving pumps and had some doubts about how to configure it before it arrives to the pump setup.

I got a Metro DC11, double stage compressor that goes up to 156 psi with a 30-60 psi differential, a working pressure rating of 156 psi and a tank capacity of 275L. Overkill for 18 beer pumps, but the compressor has to go in a spot fairly near customers, so I don't want it to have to run all that often. I also may later need to use the compressor to wash kegs too.

I've got a micro-mist filter and air filter to put in line. I've never setup a compressor, but was planning to run the hose from the main regulator on the compressor to the wall, then have it run through another regulator, then to the micro-mist filter, then to the air filter, then entering into a cold room and meeting a new regulator before going to each pump (18 pumps, 6 for each trunk line to each tower). I've never even seen a micro-mist filter before now too, it just randomly came with my DME kit so I figured it might as well go with the air compressor.

Massive overkill. I run eight beer pumps off a single 2 gal contractor's compressor--the oilless pancake style. I chose the one I bought for sound--like your set-up, it's close to the serving area. The compressor is located in the beer cooler. It runs for a few minutes at a time depending on demand.

Use a primary regulator at the exit of your compressor reservoir. I like to set the primary to ~125 for safety's sake. Run a 1/2" line--PEX works great--to your cooler, then use a two-outlet secondary regulator mounted about halfway between the beer pumps. Make a loop of the line to the pumps so that all are a bout equidistant from the reg.

Our beer pumps--Flojet--are all plastic construction, so not terribly sensitive to moisture in the drive air.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Definitely overkill, but here it was too hard to source a screw other-wise fairly quiet compressor, so I wanted to make sure it only needed to run a few times per day. I also figured one day it might get split for keg washing, but I've realized I have no practical place to put one.

I ended up setting it up with a line to the compressor running to the micro-mist filter, and then to a spare co2 regulator, before going to the secondary ones before the pumps. I initially found that in the morning one floor would be jacked up to 40 psi, so I went down from 120psi to 80, and that stopped it.

Comment

Working...
      X