Yeast Pitch for a 1BBL Batch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Pitch for a 1BBL Batch

We used to get a great deal from a yeast lab on homebrew packs to direct pitch and now they stopped selling to us at wholesale so I'm looking for new yeast options.

Getting a larger pitch from any of the yeast labs seem to be about as expensive as going to the homebrew shop and buying a bunch of homebrew packs. Are there any nano breweries out there that have run into this same problem? We use dry yeast for some of our beers, but would like to be able to continue using the liquid strain that we've been using. I've considered buying equipment for making starters, but time is at a premium right now and would prefer a direct pitch option that doesn't break the bank.

Do you have a relationship with a homebrew store around you? Maybe the homebrew store would be willing to put in yeast orders with you for fresh homebrew packs. They could order extra for you from wyeast for example and it’s usually 2 day shipping if I remember right.

Comment

Morebeerpro.com is where we buy yeast packs for our 1 Bbl batches. Close to wholesale, and way cheaper than a 1 Bbl pitch from the suppliers direct. We still use a starter for our beer to be sure we have the cell count we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

you could build a starter homebrew style in a 5 gallon carboy. Haven't done that math in a while but it's pretty close

Comment

Check mrmalty for pitching rates on a 1bbl but I would recommend really just reaching out to any larger scale breweries in your area and ask for a pitch. We often give out 001 to any that can use it as long as it does not put us in a pinch. I am sure most larger breweries would be happy to help!

Comment

4L of yeast propagated on a stir plate would get you the required amount of yeast for most standard gravity ales. I would split it up into (2) 2L flasks to make things easy. Buy 4 smack packs and you're all set.
            Last edited by AT-JeffT; 02-26-2019, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I second the starter method. A 3gal carboy is plenty big to come up with 1bbl pitch. At that size just use dme or have a “intern” mash some starter wort the day before.

Comment

Originally posted by AT-JeffT View Post
                4L of yeast propagated on a stir plate would get you the required amount of yeast for most standard gravity ales. I would split it up into (2) 2L flasks to make things easy. but 4 smack packs and you're all set.
                This is almost exactly what I do for 99% of my beers. I do 2x4L stir plate and put one pitch into each flask. Good clean fermentations all the way up to 1075 wort.

Alternatively go buy 2 homebrew pitches of Kveik and pitch them straight in the fermenter. They will ferment clean at that insanely low pitch rate

Comment

We use US-05 mostly, but when we do use liquid yeast we will take the time on the starter on the first generation. Then we will harvest the yeast off the cone and use up to 5 generations.
                  Jason Blair
                  MadCow Brewing Company

Comment

Exactly What Mad Cow Said

Originally posted by madcowbrewing View Post
                    We use US-05 mostly, but when we do use liquid yeast we will take the time on the starter on the first generation. Then we will harvest the yeast off the cone and use up to 5 generations.

^^^^^What he said above, we do the same. We plan out our brew days for 2 months and decide which beer is using cone to cone and which beer is getting fresh yeast from starters. You can get stir plates and 5L flasks for $30 each at MoreBeerPro and the hot plates from Amazon for $20. We run 4 stir plates with 5L flasks to do 12-15L starters on our IPA's and Imperial Stout. It's a lot easier having more than enough space in a flask than maxing it out when it comes to boiling and cooling them which I'm sure you already know. If you do find someone selling direct pitches for 1-2bbl batches at a good price, please post the contact info for all of us.
                    Cheers
                    Angry Fish Brewing Co
                    Lake Murray SC
                    We Drink All We Can and Sell the Rest

Comment

Working...
                    X