Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABE 10bbl Advice (cereal cooking, decoction etc).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABE 10bbl Advice (cereal cooking, decoction etc).

We’re expecting our 10bbl auto-control ABE brewhouse in the next few days.
    I approached them with a few questions, including if the 3-vessel set-up (combined MT/LT; BK & WP) was able to do decoction boil/s & cereal mash cooking smaller amounts of corn, rice etc.

But they said they couldn’t help (this isn’t a complaint - they’ve given good service so far).

I think we should be ok to do one decoction, by just mashing in 1/3 of the grain in to start, doing mash temp. steps, then a short boil, before mashing in the remaining 2/3 of the malt.

Cereal cooking might be more tricky, as I think we’ll only be using about 10% corn (c.1bbl mash) in our Pre-Prohibition style pale lager & I’m not sure how that’s going to work.

Any experiences, thoughts, advice?
    Cheers
    Mike
    Nr KCMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piping need to be atleast 2" in diameter to move mash and their manufacture might no be able or unwilling to use anything larger then 1.5"

Comment

Thanks. Interesting stuff - I'm pretty sure *some* of the mash/lauter grain piping at my last place (30bbl Specific Mech) was only 1.5", but I might be wrong.

But given that the combined MT/LT has steam & rakes, I was thinking instead of using that to convert the grain (corn cereal mash, or barley malt decoction etc), not the BK, so the grain wouldn't need to be pumped anywhere. I just don't know if it's going to work!
      Cheers
      Mike.

Comment

Working...
      X