Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbonate unitank process clarification please!!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbonate unitank process clarification please!!??

Ok guys, I know there are several threads and info on the topic but I just need a few things clarified. Carbonating a 3bbl unitank via a carb stone. Here is the process i plan to do... the temp will be at 34 degrees and the head pressure will be set to 14 psi, I will use a rotometer to slowly flow co2 through the stone and wait till the flow on the meter stops which will indicate saturation. I'm assuming the tank will be fully closed during this process? It seems if a blowoff arm was open I would just waste co2. Am I thinking this through correctly? Temp to 34, head pressure to 14, completely close ferm, slowly flow co2 through the flow meter til it stops flowing in? Thanks peeps!

Definitely close off the blowoff arm otherwise you'll just empty your gas tank and not carb up the beer!

Otherwise your process reads correct. (metric here though so I'll leave the numbers below to others)

Comment

How many days is that going to take? If your beer going in the tank is mostly flat why start at 14 psi on the head space? I would start on 3-5 psi, and let the controls roll it up to 14 thru the stone. You will get a lot more absorption a lot faster. You can also bleed the tank back down to 9-10 psi very slowly and run it up again without scrubbing aromatics or any head retention issues. Cheers
      Joel Halbleib
      Partner / Zymurgist
      Hive and Barrel Meadery
      6302 Old La Grange Rd
      Crestwood, KY
      www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
      X