How to size a boiler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to size a boiler?

How can I size a boiler? Is there a rule of thumb way of calculating? Like 1hp/bbl or..
    What do you think of an electric steam boiler?
    Up to what size would you recommend it?

Zb

Boiler Sizing

In my opinion when you calculate the size of the boiler you need to assume several variables for accuracy of the right size. Please, see the details that Liam Mckenna wrote in a post several years ago, which is the correct way to do it.

You can follow the link:

Last edited by Fausto Yu-Shan; 10-15-2018, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zucker Bee View Post
      How can I size a boiler? Is there a rule of thumb way of calculating?Zb
      Rule of thumb would be 50,000 btu per bbl. There are a lot of variables as mentioned.

Comment

Boiler HP

I not only own a brewery but have sold boilers for the last 14 years. I've sold quite a few to breweries around the U.S. and have found 1 HP per BBL to be more than sufficient if you are firing a three vessel brew house. If you are also heating wash down and sanitation water via heat exchangers or heating your space, you will need more throughput.

For clarification as you may well get different responses from brewing equipment manufacturers and boiler companies alike:

1 boiler horsepower equals the following:

42,000 BTU INPUT
        33,500 BTU OUTPUT
        34.5 pounds of steam per hour

You lose about 8% efficiency for every 2000 feet of elevation above mean sea level so take this into account when you size your boiler.

Let me know if you have other questions, I'm still active in the boiler business and more than happy to help a fellow brewer.
        Colin
        Blü Dragonfly Brewing
        Cimarron, NM

Comment

Originally posted by Blu Dragonly View Post
          I not only own a brewery but have sold boilers for the last 14 years. I've sold quite a few to breweries around the U.S. and have found 1 HP per BBL to be more than sufficient if you are firing a three vessel brew house. If you are also heating wash down and sanitation water via heat exchangers or heating your space, you will need more throughput.

For clarification as you may well get different responses from brewing equipment manufacturers and boiler companies alike:

1 boiler horsepower equals the following:

42,000 BTU INPUT
          33,500 BTU OUTPUT
          34.5 pounds of steam per hour

You lose about 8% efficiency for every 2000 feet of elevation above mean sea level so take this into account when you size your boiler.

Let me know if you have other questions, I'm still active in the boiler business and more than happy to help a fellow brewer.

It depends on many factors but for a rough rule of thumb I would recommend 2.5 boiler horsepower per barrel of brewhouse capacity for a 4-vessel brewery.

Comment

Going to jump in here...I am putting in a 7bbl system with a 15bbl HLT. Is a 10hp overkill? Manufacturer says 100kg per hour (221#) is sufficient for the system.
            Using your math I would need 6.5hp.

Do they make 7 or 8hp boilers?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X