Thread: CPE "Dry Hopper" pump (MH-20HIS)

CPE "Dry Hopper" pump (MH-20HIS)

Was hoping to get some feedback on this dry hopping pump from CPE Systems. If anyone has experience or purchased this unit, I'd love to hear how well it works.

https://www.cpesystems.com/collectio...ping-equipment

Thanks,
    Mike

I bought one. The results have been mixed so far but we've only had it for about 3 weeks. It works great for adding fruit puree. We haven't quite figured out the art of dry hopping with it yet. CPE said they should go in dry with no issue. We can't get it to work that way, however we have been able to let beer back up into the hopper to create a slurry with the hops and they go in much easier. We did go with the slightly bigger pump and I'm very pleased with the pump itself. We just haven't quite figured out the hopper yet. I'm curious as to if anyone has had any luck getting the hops to go in without making a slurry.

I'm assuming the bottom of the hopper is getting clogged or the pellets are getting stuck?

So the theory was it worked like a Venturi sucking the pellets down into the recirc line. Also, I'm assuming the hopper is under pressure in order to not let beer back up. If you are doing a slurry, could it hold 44# to make a slurry that wouldn't clog the bottom T?

I know they also have a shredder pump but the sales guy said he wouldn't recommend that one. Plus the pump can only be used for shredding and not around the brewhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by GulfSide View Post
    I bought one. The results have been mixed so far but we've only had it for about 3 weeks. It works great for adding fruit puree. We haven't quite figured out the art of dry hopping with it yet. CPE said they should go in dry with no issue. We can't get it to work that way, however we have been able to let beer back up into the hopper to create a slurry with the hops and they go in much easier. We did go with the slightly bigger pump and I'm very pleased with the pump itself. We just haven't quite figured out the hopper yet. I'm curious as to if anyone has had any luck getting the hops to go in without making a slurry.
    We have heard this from other customers as well, so we have added a pneumatic vibrator to help feed the hops in and eliminate the bridging problem you mention. If you contact us we can send you one at no-cost that you can easily install on your hopper.
    Your CPE Systems Team!
    CPE Systems Inc.
    800-668-2268
    CPEsystems.com
    Thinkpumps.com
    sales@cpesystems.com