Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to pitch an existing flat slab? Or total re-pour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to pitch an existing flat slab? Or total re-pour?

Hi Guys, I'm in the process of getting a large scale kombucha (well...large scale for kombucha) operation off the ground. Here's the question: has anybody added pitch to an existing slab? Is it even feasible? Or am I looking at a total demo and re-pour to get the pitch I need for drainage?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi Gringo,
    Completely possible. I had a sloped floor with a 20’ trench drain poured on an existing flat slab. Works great!

Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing View Post
      Hi Gringo,
      Completely possible. I had a sloped floor with a 20’ trench drain poured on an existing flat slab. Works great!

Prost!
      Dave
      Hi Dave, thanks for the info. Any more specifics on what you did? Material used, slope info, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Gringo View Post
        Hi Dave, thanks for the info. Any more specifics on what you did? Material used, slope info, etc?
        We hired a local concrete contractor to pour and slope the floor. I seem to remember the “mix” was thicker than a normal pour to hold the gradual slope. We purchased a trench drain system from NRS and installed it in the center of the floor. Prior to the initial pour, we scrubbed the old slab with muratic acid to etch it so the new concrete would bond better with it. Wear PPE and have a lot of active ventilation!
        Prost!
        Dave
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

I've also heard anecdotally about using a "slabjack" approach where the floor is saw cut, and then jacked up to slope. The slab would have to be worth keeping, though. One local brewery poured a secondary sloped floor on top of the flat floor. It has curbs and rails around the perimeter. If I recall correctly, they did it so that the sloped floors could be removed if they move out. It looks nice, but you have to step up to the brew deck, so you might have issues with forklifts or pallet jacks.

Comment

Are you renting/leasing?

Do you need to revert back to original once lease runs out at your cost?

Keep in mind too, pouring ontop means you'll have a step up into your wet area. Or have a ramp up to the higher edge.

Just a few more things to bear in mind, 2c and all. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
            X