Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Fobbing - ultrasound?

Hi!

Just would like to get some higher density in our foam before capping. One brewery I spoke to actually had higher DO levels when using a hot water jet.
    I have seen some indications that it would be possible to use a ultrasonic probe to get the foam up.

Anyone used it and have practical tips. DIY or are there any good comercial solutions? Seem better to me since you do not introduce anything new to the bottle.

Best regards,
    Love

Technically there's no reason why this shouldn't work. However, using an ultrasonic emitter under the bottle may be a better option than a probe as the latter may promote poor micro and infection if you intend for it to enter the bottled product. A good first step would be to buy a cheap ultrasonic bath and try some short pulses on uncapped bottles to get a feel for what sort of time it would require.

Comment

Yep!
      My uintention was not to introduce the ultrasonic device to the beer but usae ut from outside the bottle. Problem is I guess that the ultrasopnic wavews do not travel very good in air. As a comparision, make ultrasound on human tissues need a gel to transfer the waves from the probe to the tissue. The difference is that you in that case also like to get a return wave o that you can se the structure good.
      As I work at a childrens hospital and we do have ultrasound I think I'll just bring some botles to my cardiology department and play with the probe.

However, medical ultrasonic probes are VERY expensive. I Have seen some companies make ultrasonic de-fobbing devices in filler lines to maybe there is a cheaper way (if it works).

Originally posted by TL Services View Post
      Technically there's no reason why this shouldn't work. However, using an ultrasonic emitter under the bottle may be a better option than a probe as the latter may promote poor micro and infection if you intend for it to enter the bottled product. A good first step would be to buy a cheap ultrasonic bath and try some short pulses on uncapped bottles to get a feel for what sort of time it would require.

Comment

If the process can be set up so the bottle stands in water (only 8-10mm needed) then you will get the ultrasound transfer necessary, similar to the use of gel in medical applications. It would be worth experimenting!

Comment

Working...
        X