7 BBL - 1.047 OG - White Labs Vermont Ale - Pitch Rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 BBL - 1.047 OG - White Labs Vermont Ale - Pitch Rate

I've hit a bit of a road block while putting together a Hazy NEIPA Recipe, this will be my first time using liquid yeast. I can't figure out the pitch rate and I feel as though I'm missing some crucial detail. I'm pitching White Labs / Yeast Bay's "Vermont Ale Yeast."

First, I primarily use Beersmith to formulate my recipes, and use Mr. Malty and Brewer's friend to confirm my numbers.

The Target OG is 1.047, 240 gallons. Beersmith says I need 7918.5 Billion Cells, Mr. Malty 7592 Billion, Brewer's Friend 7623 Billion, all within the ballpark. Ale setting, 96% viability.

After speaking to a few reps at Whitelabs, they suggest a 1.5L pitch. They say 2.5 Billion Cells per mL, roughly 3750 Billion cells in a 1.5L pitch. All 3 reps suggest a 1.5L pitch is enough.

That's where I get stuck. All programs suggest I need roughly 7500-7900 Billion cells, Whitelab's reps all say 3750 Billion is enough. What am I missing? At first I thought I had a setting messed up on Beersmith but I've ruled that out.

Thanks for reading, hope you folks can shed some light on my problem.

Jaime

The numbers you calculated are for repitching. Typically you use 50% less when using a lab propagated pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by AT-JeffT View Post
      The numbers you calculated are for repitching. Typically you use 50% less when using a lab propagated pitch.
      Thanks for your help Jeff. If we use 50% less of the lab propagated Vermont ale yeast as you suggest, that means the 3750 Billion cells in the 1.5L pitch is perfect for this brew.

When you say the numbers I calculated are for repitching, you're talking about # of yeast cells needed, the pitch rate calculators have a separate section for repitching slurry. I don't understand why this would be the default setting on all these programs. I still feel like I'm missing something here.

Comment

Working...
      X