Ultra Clean Projectile Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra Clean Projectile Cleaning

Our hose sales rep brought by a rep from Ultra Clean Technologies. He is selling a product that uses compressed gas/air to push a foam cylinder through hose/piping to remove debris and water in post chemical CIP hoses/pipping. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a product like this. Traditionally they have sold the product for cleaning hydraulics/oil lines. I see some value for our company to effectively dry a ~300' stainless transfer line running between our buildings, but I'm not sure about flex hose as we hang dry them all. Any comments would be appreciated.

They are typically called “pigs” in the hydrocarbon industry and have been around for a long long time. Usually they are foam (or fancy science foam) balls that are pushed through lines just as you describe. Typically between CIP cycles. I think you can find them at GW, Archon, or Gusmer among others if I recall. Should only cost a few bucks or you’re getting ripped off.

They are a great idea, especially if you have a less than adequate CIP pump.

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
      They are typically called “pigs” in the hydrocarbon industry and have been around for a long long time. Usually they are foam (or fancy science foam) balls that are pushed through lines just as you describe. Typically between CIP cycles. I think you can find them at GW, Archon, or Gusmer among others if I recall. Should only cost a few bucks or you’re getting ripped off.

They are a great idea, especially if you have a less than adequate CIP pump.
      I have seen something similar use for cleaning draft lines in germany.

Comment

One of the companies I worked for tried this system for long beer runs between departments. It was a faff to use as they had to have special insert and catch chambers and found that a recirculation CIP was more flexible and cheaper to run. The oil guys use them because of the high viscosity and difficulty getting turbulent flow in large diameter pipes. The brewers still had to recirculate sanitiser, which meant they had a return loop anyway, so might as well use this for all CIP cycles.

Beer dispense lines use them sometimes because of long pipe runs and narrow bores, which means it is difficult to get high enough flow rates of cold CIP fluids, and in the case of beer with yeast, you can get high deposits of yeast and proteins, making effective cleaning long winded.

But don't let me stop you trying - just "my" experience suggests you will be better to stick to conventional CIP in the brewery.
        dick

Comment

Working...
        X