Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing of wort and dilution water in conical

Ho,

I have a Nanobrewery with 2 bbl conical fermenters and a 1,5 bbl brewhouse.
    To max the fermenters out I brew high gravity wort and dilute it in the fermenter.
    This has another advantage: I fill the water into the fermenter the day before and cool it down near freezing. So later I don't have to cool the wort down all the way to pitching temps or get straight to lager pitch temps in the summer.

But the problem is the mixing in the fermenter. It doesn't happen at all. The water stays on top, the wort is below.

I just had the idea I could vigorously pump CO2 or O2 trough the drain valve to get everything mixed.
    Could that work?

At first I tought I could use O2, but to get a vigorous mixing I couldn't use the aeration stone and without it I have no idea how much I aerate the wort.
    So I thought of Co2. Is there any problem to pump Co2 trough wort before aerating, any detrimental effects?
    Any help would be much appreciated!!

Prost
    Felix
    Last edited by FelixGER; 10-29-2018, 03:44 PM.

You could recirculate it with pump, from drain to racking arm pointing up.
    In this phase, after chilling eventual sucking air in pump shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

if your fermenter has a racking are try turning it up and knocking out in to it so the wort has to cascade on top of the water.

Comment

I will try that! Since Wort is denser than water it should mix better that way. Thanks a lot!!

Comment

How are you determining that the water and wort aren't mixing? Fermentation should be plenty to get everything mixed. I've done as large as blending 60bbl of high gravity wort with 30bbl of water, adding the water first as you do, never had any issues with the finished product.

Comment

Working...
          X