serving with just co2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• serving with just co2

Hi, our cold room will be just outside of our serving area. Our draft lines to the tap will be 6 ft or less. Is there any need for blended gas? Is anyone having success with just using co2? If there are threads please point me in the right direction- I looked but may have worded wrong,cheers.

We ran with just co2 for a couple years with that same setup and never had an issue. We only switched to a blender because of our increased co2 usage.

Comment

So the increased usage of co2 pushed you toward the blend? Was it cheaper? Can you elaborate?

Comment

We’ve been running for 4 years with around 350bbl/year through the taproom all on co2.
        Haven’t had any issues. Paying for 50# tanks exchanges, maybe 8 tanks a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ulmus View Post
          Hi, our cold room will be just outside of our serving area. Our draft lines to the tap will be 6 ft or less. Is there any need for blended gas? Is anyone having success with just using co2? If there are threads please point me in the right direction- I looked but may have worded wrong,cheers.
          Howdy Ulmus,
          My tap room set up is just about as you described. I have been pushing with all CO2 for 18+ years just fine. If I had any beers that were such slow movers as to get over carbonated on tap, I’d be looking at changing that beer to one that will sell before I switched to a blended gas system.

Prost!
          Dave
          Glacier Brewing Company
          406-883-2595
          info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

As Dave pointed out, it will depend largely on how fast you move your beer. If a keg sits for a week or more with high head pressure, the beer will be over-carbed. This will cause foaming problems as your system will no longer be balanced. If you move a keg in a few days, no worries.

My bet would be 80-90% of servers use CO2 alone.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

You'll be fine.

Blended gas is nice for long runs, but not needed for direct draw. If you have the cooler 25 feet away and in the basement you'll need, say 28 lbs of pressure. (Just a guess, I didn't do the math)

If you have 28 lbs of straight co2 the beer will over-carb very quickly. If you have 28 lbs of a mix of 70% co2 and 30% N, it'll take a lot longer to change the carbonation since N won't dissolve into the beer at that pressure.

I'm sure you're aware of its existence, but the BA has a helpful guide:

Comment

CO2 is fine up to about 12 psi of restriction. Applying more than that will overcarbonate your kegs over time. You manage the restriction by the type of beer hose and the length. There is a ton of information on balancing draft systems on the internet, try at micromatic.com. But basically you would run 3/8" ID hose from your kegs to the wall, and then finish off with a "choker hose" of 3/16" ID hose. 3/8" hose has a restriction of 0.25 psi per foot if I remember right, and 3/16" is 3 psi/foot. An easy way to dial it in is to start with about 4' of 3/16" ID choker line, and cut it back until you are getting a good even pour out of the faucet without foaming.
                Linus Hall
                Yazoo Brewing
                Nashville, TN
                www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrewerJake View Post
                  it'll take a lot longer to change the carbonation since N won't dissolve into the beer at that pressure.
                  Yes it does, but its solubility is much lower than co2. And it will take quite a while.

Solubility of Ammonia, Argon, Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide, Chlorine, Ethane, Ethylene, Helium, Hydrogen, Hydrogen Sulfide, Methane, Nitrogen, Oxygen and Sulfur Dioxide in water.

also get this: https://www.brewersassociation.org/e...infind.com/web

Online training https://www.micromatic.com/education/dispense-institute
                  Last edited by Ted Briggs; 11-08-2018, 08:44 AM.
                  Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                  tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                  "Your results may vary"

Comment

Thanks to you all for sharing your wisdom and experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X