Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Efficient but cheap starter

Hi,

I'm trying to get good results making starter for 8.5bbl wort.
    Sometimes I'm able to harvest from the fermentor but the high gravity beers seems to be harder to recycle...

What would be the best way?

Cheers!

I know it's not quite what you're asking, but, you should be able to plan your production schedule such that you always have a reasonably fresh pitch of yeast available. A nice, low-to-moderate-hops and -gravity beer should produce enough slurry for at least two pitches (I've heard of places that regularly get four!), and that slurry should still be fresh and viable for several days, up to a week or two if you don't mind throwing in a little extra slurry to account for loss in viability. This does mean you have to plan far enough ahead to space out your big beers with smaller beers interspersed to propagate your yeast, but, hey, welcome to professional brewing, we all spend far more time crunching calendars than crunching recipes.

Comment

Thank You so much!

I do have another one.
      I use a French Saison yeast for a Biere de Garde. around 16Platos.
      It take really long for the fermentation to end.
      The fermentor is set at 23Celcius, 73F. We blow O2 while it cooling inline with the chiller.
      Any ways to shorten the fermentation time?

Cheers!
      Felix

Comment

Originally posted by Cote-du-Sud View Post
        Thank You so much!

I do have another one.
        I use a French Saison yeast for a Biere de Garde. around 16Platos.
        It take really long for the fermentation to end.
        The fermentor is set at 23Celcius, 73F. We blow O2 while it cooling inline with the chiller.
        Any ways to shorten the fermentation time?

Cheers!
        Felix
        If your mash temperature was on the high side, then you will have more dextrins in the wort. Dextrins are metabolized more slowly, which can lead to a long, lingering fermentation. If you decrease your mash temp, you would start with fewer dextrins and so there would be less work for the yeast to do at the end of the fermentation.

You could also increase the temperature at the end of the fermentation. A French Saison strain should be happy at warmer temperatures of at least 30'C (possibly higher) and the glucoamylase enzyme (breaks down dextrins) is more active at higher temperatures (most active usually closer to 60'C).

And adding nutrients couldn't hurt either, Servomyces will likely speed up the fermentation a bit by adding zinc and you might consider other nutrients as well depending on your wort composition.
        Lallemand is a global leader in the development, production and marketing of yeast, bacteria and specialty ingredients.

Comment

Working...
        X