Beer pouring foamy when serving tanks get low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer pouring foamy when serving tanks get low

We have a long run from the serving tank to taps. Beer pumps are used to push the beer.
    Im not very knowledgeable about draft lines and balancing them so am looking for help to fix this.
    The beer is becoming very foamy, in most cases, once we get down to about 1-2 bbls (10 bbl serving tank). Recently 2 tanks that have a bit over 5bbls in them are pouring straight foam too which is puzzling me even more. I can see bubbles in the lines going from the serving tank to the flojet beer pumps, the line almost looks to be half foam/half beer.
    I carb up each beer with a carb stone, usually good to go within a day. each co2 regulator is set to 15 psi, per instructions from the last brewer. I test levels with a Zahm and Nagel.
    Any help would be great.

It sounds as though the temperature and top pressure are not correct for the level of carbonation in the beer - so you are either adding additional CO2 to the beer whilst in serving tank due to high pressure / low temperature, or the temperature in the lines is too warm for the CO2 content, so CO2 is coming out of solution in the lines. Based on your comment of this happening when the residual beer volume drops, I would look at the tank supply CO2 pressure being too high. Make sure you only have the CO2 supply switched on when actually serving, so that for instance overnight when you are not serving, it does not have a chance to dissolve more CO2. For instance, if you want 5 g/ litre CO2 (2.5 vols), the equilibrium temperature at 15 psi is 6.7 deg C - so if colder than this overnight, you will dissolve more CO2. (don't forget that these figures are reasonably accurate, but not perfect, and if you are using nitrogen somewhere, they get completely screwed up.
    dick

Comment

You should never be seeing bubbles between the tank and the pump. I'm a little confused by this, as your excess head pressure should keep the beer from breaking here, even if it is over-carbed.

What size lines are you using from the tanks to the pumps? How long are these lines? There should be as little restriction as possible between the tanks and the pumps.

For the head pressure, you should have little if any more than equilibrium pressure for your beer and temperature. 15psi seems far too high to me.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
      X