Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold On Keg Coupler Port

Hello,

We have, what I though, is a pretty thorough keg cleaning regimen with a semi auto keg washer. One thing we have noticed though the after a couple weeks from the day the keg is wash mold will start to grow in the coupler connection even with a keg cap. We typically dry this area before capping but still see this issue periodically. Any tips or tricks to avoid this issue? Thanks

Cheers,
    Sean

Originally posted by Sgaura79 View Post
    Hello,

We have, what I though, is a pretty thorough keg cleaning regimen with a semi auto keg washer. One thing we have noticed though the after a couple weeks from the day the keg is wash mold will start to grow in the coupler connection even with a keg cap. We typically dry this area before capping but still see this issue periodically. Any tips or tricks to avoid this issue? Thanks

Cheers,
    Sean
    I've never really seen that issue, possibly your sanitizer ratio is incorrect going into the keg on the final stage. I'd test your PPM of whatever your sanitizer stage is while it comes out the kegs.

-Eulie
    Thanks,
    Eulie

Comment

Visible mold needs something to chow down on if it's gonna grow to the point where you can see it, so, I'd look into a couple things.

First of all, how's your rinse cycle? Even residue from beery cleaner/sanitizer solutions can be a food source, if you wait around long enough for the cleaner or sanitizer to lose potency.

Secondly, are you cleaning the coupler connection itself, ideally before you even connect it to the keg washer? Everything the keg washer does goes in and out through the ball lock – the rest of the coupler seal doesn't see any action, at least if the seal's still good! We'll spray with isopropanol, let 'em sit for a few minutes (while other kegs are being washed), then spray out the broken-up gunk with a hose, before we start actually "washing" the keg.

We also spray the coupler and the cap with isopropanol after the keg is clean; it evaporates quickly after killing, even with the cap on, leaving things dry and sanitary.

Comment

We had the same problem and agree with the previous poster on spraying with alcohol before and after cleaning. Haven't had this problem since. Quick and easy solution.

Comment

We give the valve a quick scrub with a brush and soapy water, rinse, clean the keg, then spray with PAA solution before capping. No mold problems.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
          X