Thread: Help with Triple IPA Fermentation/pitching more yeast & potential stress

Question Help with Triple IPA Fermentation/pitching more yeast & potential stress

I have a Triple IPA that started at 22.2 Brix and is at the tail end of fermentation and currently at 5.65 Brix, so 75% AA and 9.26% ABV. Mash temp was 149F. I'm using Omega Yeast's DIPA OYL-052, which has attenuation range of 72-80%. Pitched at rate of 16mil cells/mL. Obviously it's doing its job and well within its parameters but I'm wanting to get a bit more dry than where its probably going to finish.

Here's my question...

I am considering pulling off some US-05 from a fermenting Imperial Stout and adding that to the Triple IPA to ferment a little more. My thought is that its already been in a high ABV environment, making it a good option and that it won't get stressed by adding it to a similar ABV. Am I thinking about this correctly?

Any information and tips would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Shawn
    Last edited by shawnoberle; 11-29-2018 at 07:09 PM.

You don't say what the OG of the I.S. was, but assuming it is similar, don't use it - it will be worn out by fermenting the I.S. Use some fresh dried yeast. I suspect your problem is that the Omega yeast has a higher oxygen demand than was available, and to get it lower, you needed to aerate for a while about 12 hours after collection to give the yeast a boost. We used to aerate one of our yeasts intermittently for about 48 hours to keep the yeast going on one particular beer - so a single burst still might not be enough,
    dick

Quote Originally Posted by dick murton View Post
    You don't say what the OG of the I.S. was, but assuming it is similar, don't use it - it will be worn out by fermenting the I.S. Use some fresh dried yeast. I suspect your problem is that the Omega yeast has a higher oxygen demand than was available, and to get it lower, you needed to aerate for a while about 12 hours after collection to give the yeast a boost. We used to aerate one of our yeasts intermittently for about 48 hours to keep the yeast going on one particular beer - so a single burst still might not be enough,

Yes, the Imperial Stout was similar with SG of 23.3 Brix. I assumed the oxygen needs to also be the case but know that I am too far in to hit with oxygen. I'll plan on adding a good sized pitch (1000g for ~8bbl) of dried US-05 just to make sure it can wrap things up and not be stressed entering that high abv environment to start. Thanks for the help Dick.

As Dick mentioned, dry yeast is your best option here. Dry yeast doesn't require oxygenation, so no need to introduce any oxygen this late in the fermentation. Choose a strain that efficiently metabolizes maltotriose, since this is the sugar likely to be left at the end of fermentation. Nottingham is a great option.
    Lallemand is a global leader in the development, production and marketing of yeast, bacteria and specialty ingredients.

Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"