Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cider Stabilization question

Hello,

Not sure if this is right place for this question.

If I am planning to bath pasteurize in bottles my semi sweet cider. Would it be necessary to also add potassium sorbate when blending before bottliing?

Just curious what other people think.

thanks,

Marcus

What are you adding sodium sorbate for? Do you add it to non bottled cider?

If you are using it as a micro stabilising agent, then no addition should be required if your pasteurisation is effective.

Why do you want / need to pasteurise? Is it because sodium sorbate is not doing the job you are asking it to do?
    dick

Comment

Originally posted by mwiebe View Post
      Hello,

Not sure if this is right place for this question.

If I am planning to bath pasteurize in bottles my semi sweet cider. Would it be necessary to also add potassium sorbate when blending before bottliing?

Just curious what other people think.

thanks,

Marcus
      Why bath pasteurize? Potassium sorbate and metabisulfite will prevent an re-fermentation. Be sure to add this after fermentation is complete and before back sweetening.

Sterile filtering is your next option.

Comment

What Ambrosia said....

You either pasteurize OR use sorbate/sulfites. Don't know of anyone that does both. Why would you?
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

thank you everyone for the responses. I was pretty sure that sorbate was unnecessary if you are bath pasteurizing properly. I guess if i was kegging and bottling from the the same batch it would be a good idea but if I am just bottling its seems to be not needed. thanks again everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
            You either pasteurize OR use sorbate/sulfites. Don't know of anyone that does both. Why would you?
            I totally agree. But can you please explain properly why not? My brother is into brewing, i don't really know the details. I wanted to help him out a bit during weekends...so knowing the reson behind this would really help me

Comment

Originally posted by Stephbaker View Post
              I totally agree. But can you please explain properly why not? My brother is into brewing, i don't really know the details. I wanted to help him out a bit during weekends...so knowing the reson behind this would really help me
              Nearly 100% of the sugars in most fruit are fermentable.

Comment

Pasteurization will extend your shelf life by inactivating most organisms.

Sorbate/sulfite combo will do the same thing.

Neither will 'sterilize' your product.

Using both techniques simultaneously is overkill. Pasteurization is energy intensive and process management thereof is critical, sorbate/sulfite would add unnecessary exogenous chemicals to your product after pasteurization.

I would go the sorbate/sulfite route, meself. 50-100ppm sorbate, 50 ppm sulfite. Simple. Put it in the packaging tank prior to product transfer in. You will need a reasonable volume estimate first to calculate additions. Using this method for years on backsweetened ciders with no failure or complaint (mind you, our ciders rarely exceed 2oBrix upon packaging. Sweeter ciders may require different treatment.) YMMV.

Pax.

Liam
                Liam McKenna
                www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
                X