Dry hopping in uni tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry hopping in uni tanks

I have a question regarding dry hopping in conicals used as unitanks. When we go high on the dry hop, above the racking port, then we sometimes have an issue with hops being pulled through when packaging (mostly an issue when canning).

I chill the beer down, put a bit of head pressure on the tank then dump from the bottom outlet, I get a load out but still have the problem at packaging. What I think is happening is that the hops are all being drawn from the centre of the cone and the stuff on the sides of the cone are stuck on. i.e. the trub level does not lower uniformly with a flat top. When we rack off, the liquid level coming down and being pulled to the central racking point must knock off some hops stuck to the sides (which is above the racking point) and pulls them through. To further support this theory I have noticed that the slower we rack off the less that comes through.

I have read a few different methods for dry hopping in unis and seen suggestions of dumping smaller amounts but more times, a long slow dump over several hours, dumping using a smaller diameter line.

Anyone have any views of experiences on this?

Also, on a side note if anyone has a quick method of getting the dry hops back out again after racking for cleaning I would be interested to hear. Currently I fit a Y piece to the bottom outlet, pump water in one side then drain the other side. Works but takes a bit of time.

Using T90s btw.

Cheers.

We use unitanks as well, and package cans off them, we've noticed similar things as you are experiencing. What helped for us is just dumping less out of the tank more often. Less channeling happens, and you are able to get more out of the tank as the slurry and hops fall down on itself. We usually start dumping hops out after a few days contact time, and leave a hose hooked up throughout the day and come back to it maybe 6-8 times throughout the day, and do this for at least a couple days.
    Another thought I had, is maybe the small amount of hop flakes being pulled though are coming from inside your racking arm. we've had this issue before, leading us to believe it was pulling what was left on the sides of the tank but it was actually debris stuck to the sides of the racking arm. Our solution was to keg off a keg before running cans- filling the keg quickly to dislodge any hop flakes. The keg has room for some sediment to settle out, in cans its a little less desirable.

Originally posted by adamkse View Post
    I have a question regarding dry hopping in conicals used as unitanks. When we go high on the dry hop, above the racking port, then we sometimes have an issue with hops being pulled through when packaging (mostly an issue when canning).

I chill the beer down, put a bit of head pressure on the tank then dump from the bottom outlet, I get a load out but still have the problem at packaging. What I think is happening is that the hops are all being drawn from the centre of the cone and the stuff on the sides of the cone are stuck on. i.e. the trub level does not lower uniformly with a flat top. When we rack off, the liquid level coming down and being pulled to the central racking point must knock off some hops stuck to the sides (which is above the racking point) and pulls them through. To further support this theory I have noticed that the slower we rack off the less that comes through.

I have read a few different methods for dry hopping in unis and seen suggestions of dumping smaller amounts but more times, a long slow dump over several hours, dumping using a smaller diameter line.

Anyone have any views of experiences on this?

Also, on a side note if anyone has a quick method of getting the dry hops back out again after racking for cleaning I would be interested to hear. Currently I fit a Y piece to the bottom outlet, pump water in one side then drain the other side. Works but takes a bit of time.

Using T90s btw.

Cheers.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I do a few quick blasts out the racking arm to clear it and last time I did 2 kegs first to try and solve the problem with little luck ☹️

I will try the shorter more frequent dumps next time time at the very least.

Comment

It’s not great but what helped us is the multiple slow dumps before kegging. Also set up a screen on your kegging manifold to catch any large hop particulate.

I go “90 - 1.5” sight -tc screen (facing inside 1.5” sight) - 1” sight - kegging”. Works to separate some of that and the extra sight allows you to see the beer after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Crosley View Post
          It’s not great but what helped us is the multiple slow dumps before kegging. Also set up a screen on your kegging manifold to catch any large hop particulate.

I go “90 - 1.5” sight -tc screen (facing inside 1.5” sight) - 1” sight - kegging”. Works to separate some of that and the extra sight allows you to see the beer after.

When you are using a filter, do you ever have issues with C02 getting knocked out of solution? We tried using a filter and have had varying luck with C02 getting kicked out and all foam.

Comment

Originally posted by Simonmcconico View Post
            When you are using a filter, do you ever have issues with C02 getting knocked out of solution? We tried using a filter and have had varying luck with C02 getting kicked out and all foam.
            It’s a super small screen and not that fine. We just make sure to open everything nice and slow when we are starting and we haven’t had any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Simonmcconico View Post
              Co2 is only going to get knocked out of solution if there is a pressure differential, so what that may mean is your filter was either clogged or you were running it too fast.

Comment

Dry Hopping in unitanks

"Unitanks" are great for pub and draft style brewing and keg dispensing. I find that once you want to go to RTD packaging that "unitanks" have the possibility for increased inconsistency with highly hopped beers. Your brand is either your consistency or inconsistency. If you are looking for a RTD product that will be consistent from day 1 to day 90 then I suggest looking into a brite tank or "unitank" to rack into prior to any RTD packaging to allow for some final settling. I believe your brand will be stronger and more consistent for your outside sales with this model.

Cheers,
                Mike Paladino
                Brewery Design Consultant
                Stout Tanks and Kettles, LLC

“The Small Brewery Experts”
                16300 SW 72nd Ave
                Portland, OR 97224
                Office: (503) 372-9580
                Direct: (503) 766-3206

Comment

Working...
                X