Thread: Help needed with Beer Transfer

Help needed with Beer Transfer

Hello,

Does anyone have some advice on the best way to transfer from fermentor to brite tank, (both tanks are 3.5 bbl)
    I have a 1/5 HP mag-drive centrifugal pump that pumps 18 GPM and no VFD.

Would it be best to not use the pump and transfer with CO2 pressure differential by bleeding off pressure from the brite tank and keeping the fermentor at a higher pressure.
    or
    Use the pump and balance the pressure between both tanks.
    or
    A better idea!

I'm worried about the pump churning the beer.

Thanks
    Jeff

You can always use CO2 to transfer, but that is a waste. Shouldnt be any problems using a pump to do the transfer, that is the standard method.

You are right to worry. Without a VFD Id transfer with Co2 under pressure. Not alot of gas use with small tanks. But a pressurized balance transfer with a VFD pump is best. Look to add one to your pump.
    https://www.cpesystems.com
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

We used to transfer to our brite tanks with a march pump inline when we were on our 3bbl system and were using plastic FVs, being we couldn't pressurize those tanks. We made sure the lines were purged with CO2 and full of beer + flowing with gravity prior to turning on the pump.

I agree with Ted, if you've got stainless tanks I'm in the camp that you'd be better off pushing with CO2. Purge your BBT well, use block-and-bleeds to purge your transfer line and push with head pressure from the FV. Less opportunity for O2 ingress and less opportunity to beat up the beer with an impeller.