Thread: Re-hydrating Dry Yeast Bricks

Re-hydrating Dry Yeast Bricks

I would like to know what process you are following to re-hydrate your dried yeast. I currently use two bricks for one batch and I have yet to find an ideal process. I tried using my yeast brink, but that turned into a dried yeast ball disaster. Maybe I stirred it too soon.

just pitch it in during knock out

Throw it in dry

Quote Originally Posted by Rooh View Post
    just pitch it in during knock out
    +1 to what Rooh said. I've tried a few ways to rehydrate and all are a PITA with no verifiable improvement in fermentation. Just open the manway and sprinkle on top of wort during knock out with extreme caution; ie face mask, latex gloves, etc all sanitized.

I'm gonna repeat everyone else. Sanitize everything, wear gloves, sprinkle the yeast on chilled wort. I don't even oxygenate, based on advice from Fermentis, and I have no problems with long lag times, stalled fermentation or off flavors. I even keep resealed partial bricks for use later. Hope this helps.

Our SOP is to pull about 7 gallons of wort into our brink (at the temps specified on the fermentis instructions) at the beginning of KO. We then open the brink and sprinkle the yeast on top. We swirl it around off and on during the rest of KO. Usually by the end of KO, it has had at least 30-40 minutes and creates a pretty uniform slurry. We then back fill the brink from the FV and pump it all back in. We may do this a couple times to get all the residual from the sides of the brink. It works well for us. We use two bricks for our lagers and do it this way every time.
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA