Compressed Air filtration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressed Air filtration

Hi all, I am trying to find an affordable option for antimicrobial (0.01micron) filtration from our compressor to our keg washer. I am new at the brewery and there had historically been returned bad kegs. My first thought was dirty air used for blow out of kegs during wash cycles. So I checked, and sure enough there is not even a basic dryer on the air line. Any suggestions that aren't in the 100's of euros? The compressor operating pressure is 12bar. Many thanks in advance!

Were you able to find a solution? I’m super interested.
    I’ve been pointed toward ATLAS COPCO LF 4 kw/ cuve 250 litres/sécheur frigorifique + filtre stérile for 6500 € HT + installation and piping (~2500 €).
    I can’t spend 10k for my air compressor need tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi Mattieu, wow, I'm assuming that the system you are being steered towards includes the compressor at least? We have a working compressor already so all I am aiming to do is reduce the possibility of contamination. So what I am going to try is a standard dual bowl water and oil removal filter which filters to 5microns. then after that I will install another cartridge-in-bowl type filter that is rated down to 0.01micron, which should remove 99.9% of contaminants. All up it will cost me about 70euros. The only drawback to this idea as far as I can tell is the working pressure for these filters is 10bar and our compressor's working pressure is 12bar, but thats easy enough to dial back and 10bar is still plenty for the keg washer and bottling machine. i will post again with a picture when I have all the necessary parts together and plumbed in. Cheers/sante!

Comment

Hi again Mattieu, sorry i just realized that the system you mentioned IS a compressor ... cheers.

Comment

Yes please - document that if you can!
          Thanks for your help

Comment

There have been numerous threads on this here, so the search function will get you plenty of info.

Basically, you need:

Water/oil separator immediately after compressor tank and regulator.

Filter. See below.

Refrigerated air dryer next. If you are not running any controls or pneumatic systems from your compressor, you might get away without this, but it's one of the most valuable parts of a good air system. SOme compressors come with a refrigerated dryer built-in. between the comp. and the tank. This saves the tank from rust.

Micro filter. For both filters, we use Hankison filter housings and filters.
            Last edited by TGTimm; 12-10-2018, 10:51 AM.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
              There have been numerous threads on this here, so the search function will get you plenty of info.

Basically, you need:

Water/oil separator immediately after compressor tank and regulator.

Filter. See below.

Refrigerated air dryer next. If you are not running any controls or pneumatic systems from your compressor, you might get away without this, but it's one of the most valuable parts of a good air system. SOme compressors come with a refrigerated dryer built-in. between the comp. and the tank. This saves the tank from rust.

Micro filter. For both filters, we use Hankison filter housings and filters.
              Thanks for posting back. Truthfully I answered back and didn’t deep dive. Too focused on water profile and filtering solutions [emoji17]

What should be a targeted price point for a compressed air solution? A wide range would be ok...

Comment

Matteiu: That is up to you. You or your engineer will know how much air you need. Size comp, filters, and dryer accordingly. I prefer rotary compressors, but they are more expensive than reciprocating types.

One bit of advice: Over-size your system. You'll be glad you did.
                Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
                X