NE IPA Dry Hopping Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing this one back up...

Ive been dealing with rapid precipitation (Haze drop out) on my NEIPA as well. All of the trials have tasted great and great aroma. Haze just drops out in a matter of day on the kegs. Brewed again 1/1/2020

•Changed from flaked oats to white wheat - 22.5% of grain bill

•First Wort Hopped with 1 lb - 1/2 Citra & 1/2 Mosaic

•Whirlpooled @ 165ºF for 20 mins with 1 lb - 1/2 Citra & 1/2 Mosaic

•Full sized starter of Omega DIPA ALE yeast

•Dry Hopping 1lb of Nelson Sauvin 12% at High krausen

Will update with photos and taste review. Hopefully i can get the haze to stay in this one.

Cheers! 🍻

Beach Leary
    Fat Rabbit Brewing Co.
    Tampa FL

Comment

Also having the same experience

I'm having the same issues with haze stability, starting to think that is water profile related. We have nothing to compare to because we are only one of two commercial breweries using the water source. I do have an ICP water profile but don't see anything that stands out. I've gone as far as using un-malted wheat on top of flaked oats for protein content and 3+lbs. per barrel dry hopping throughout fermentation. Conan yeast strain and various hop varieties. The beers taste great and and aren't clear but far from the milky appearance of some. Flavor profile is on point but at this point the consumer expects to see turbidity. Any thoughts?

Comment

Take the word hazy out of your description. Sounds like you made a great beer. Does a NE IPA really need to look like a milkshake?

Comment

How do you deal with hop creep? We have a lot of experience now seeing a stable gravity of 12 boot once dry hopped warm and I'm sick of packaging NEIPA's with a FG of 8. We were thinking of dumping more yeast before dry hopping and/or dry hopping a lower temperatures to limit yeast and enzyme activity, but it feels like we will just move the problem onto package. Understand cold storage, writing hops fade fast on the cans and packaging in plastic bags, but ... cheating? Too stuffy and set in my ways to dare to shatter the current paradigm? I joke. But yes, hop creep is real I tells ya.

Comment

Contrary to the contrarians, there has been some evidence showing that the stable haze can basically hang on to nonpolar aromatics so there is more to it than simply appearance. But there is also something to the appearance that customers are expecting so when they drop clear it can definitely be an issue.

The past couple of hazies I've made have had some very solidly opaque haze that has not quickly dropped out (though we're only at ~4wks in package...). One was ~10% each wheat malt/oat malt/flaked oats, Imperial Juice yeast (London Ale III), Bru1/ElDo/Sabro hopped, another was ~14%/7%/7%, S-04 yeast, Centennial/Calypso/Bravo/Idaho 7 hopped. I have had hazies that dropped pretty clear, one being 15% wheat malt/14% flaked oats/Imperial Dryhop yeast (Brux Trois/Vermont blend). That one dropped more clear than my damn WCIPA usually does.

It was said (by the sales rep so take it for what it's worth) that Bru1 can help contribute to a stable haze, and I've heard from another couple of brewers that Mosaic can have the opposite effect. I've also read that yeasts can contribute (or drop out) haze, not from lack of flocculation but from whatever it is the yeast produces that makes the haze stick around.

If you're into "cheating" to get the stable haze there are techniques like adding fruit puree to the boil (for a pectin haze), or additives like "Spring Blanche" from Fermentis. Personally I love the science behind the haze and how we don't quite fully understand everything that is going on with these beers just yet. There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post

Dry hopping does not effect IBU. Alpha acids are isomerized during the boil, and the amount isomerized is dependent on temperature and time.
              All the hops in our NEIPA is dropped in the FV at high krausen and -1P to FG for a total of 7#/bbl (mix cry and pellets) Lab results : 51 BUs!

Comment

dry hop does not increase bitterness (Iso-alpha-acids) it does, however, increase hop flavour from captured essential oils, terpenes, terpenoids and other compounds from the hop additions post boil. These are all measurable with the right equipment
                Liam McKenna
                www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
                X