Carbonation Stone Plugged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbonation Stone Plugged

Currently having issues with our carbonation stone being "plugged" Not getting any flow through it. We've boiled it in water for 10 minutes with no difference. Does anyone suggest a different process on unplugging it? Thank you very much for any information
    Cheers!

Did you try to soak it in the caustic?

Comment

What type of caustic do you use? Or what would you recommend? We are a 1bbl nanobrewery and we still use PBW mostly. So haven't gotten into the caustic world yet.

Comment

Also try soaking in Isopropyl. Be careful when handling stones, the oil from your skin can actually clog them. Heat and soaks is about all you can do unless the stone is physically damaged which is easy to do. The pores on these are extremely delicate. If you can get your hands on an ultrasonic cleaner, do it. These are the best for stone cleaning.

Comment

I soak mine in isopropyl alcohol and never touch the stone surface with my hands. It truly makes a difference in performance.

Prost,
          Dave
          Glacier Brewing Company
          406-883-2595
          info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

A good soak in phos or nitric acid is also advisable to keep stone from building up. Do you ever back flush the stone with hot water?
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I would also recommend on top of everything else already mentioned, while soaking the stone in caustic or pbw, hook up to your CO2 and blast the stone while submerged. You will be able to see just what areas you are having trouble in while there are bubbles rising up. Hard to troubleshoot while carbing so the bucket works well!

Comment

Originally posted by firstmile View Post
                What type of caustic do you use? Or what would you recommend? We are a 1bbl nanobrewery and we still use PBW mostly. So haven't gotten into the caustic world yet.
                You could soak it in PBW overnight and then back flush it with hot water. If possible keep the gas inlet above the liquid level.

PBW to my opinion is not very good cleaner. I would suggest that you find a local knowledgeable chemical supplier.

Comment

A good carbonation stone requires a good cleaning regimen...

Use an ultrasonic cleaner with a detersive acid. You'll have a clean stone in a matter of an hour or so. If it's really bad, you may need more than one soak.
                  Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I have soaked carbonating stones in concentrated nitric acid followed by autoclaving which works really well.
                    It is dangerous stuff, use appropriate precautions etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X