Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create and sell beer recipe IP

Hello
    Somebody in my network created a brand and want 3 different beers to come fill up his brand product line. He doesn’t have any specific beer style but just an idea of color / ABV / bitterness / flavor.
    I was planning on offering the following
    - narrowing a beer style and general guidelines for each of the 3 beers
    - brew up to 3 R&D brews (10 gal brews) for recipes fine tuning for each of the 3 - so up to 9 brews
    - resell of recipe and IP

He want to own the recipe for potentially shopping the production or having a fall back solution if I get tied up

The number I have in mind is 5k per recipes.

Is it crazy low or crazy high?

It is the first time I’m asked that and I can’t find any benchmarks

Thanks
    Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can not trademark or copyrighted recipe. It you want to keep recipe secret, you can not revile it.

However you can trademark brand or name if you have a proof that it is used in commerce.

Comment

Thanks for your answer.

In our case his brand is not in the beer market but he wants to start selling beer under his brand. He just need “his recipes” and a contract brewer

I am Offering to do the design work and create his recipes. I would then sell him the details such as water profile, grain / hope / yeast used and quantity, mash profile, etc... Once he pays me, I wouldn’t be able to brew it unless he places an order and it would be a contract brew

Thanks

Matt

Comment

Recipe as is has no $ value and there is no IP for that matter.

If you want to get compensated for your work, I would suggest that you agree on hourly bases or quote for the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirsty_Monk View Post
          Recipe as is has no $ value and there is no IP for that matter.

If you want to get compensated for your work, I would suggest that you agree on hourly bases or quote for the project.
          Noted with thanks.

Comment

Bonjur

Messaged you, not sure if it got through.

Salute

Comment

Opp's

Excuse my French,

I meant to say Bonjour!

Comment

Recipes are largely worth the paper they are written on.

No matter how skilled you may think you are in that regard, thousands of people can easily do the same for free.

I would suggest you sell them your expertise/advice/consultation instead. There are no legal protections available for a beer recipe in terms of 'ownership'. The 'legal' reason is that everything you are likely to come up with, has likely been done before...or something so similar that it doesn't bear arguing over.

Pax.

Liam
                Liam McKenna
                www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Originally posted by liammckenna View Post
                  Recipes are largely worth the paper they are written on.

No matter how skilled you may think you are in that regard, thousands of people can easily do the same for free.

I would suggest you sell them your expertise/advice/consultation instead. There are no legal protections available for a beer recipe in terms of 'ownership'. The 'legal' reason is that everything you are likely to come up with, has likely been done before...or something so similar that it doesn't bear arguing over.

Pax.

Liam
                  Thanks Liam. And I fully agree.

I was afraid to set a precedent by brewing a beer in a contract brew environment and let the client decide to shop around at different breweries for a better purchase price.
                  We don’t rely on this income to stay in business but I was never asked by a B2B peer to “create” a beer based on their “vision” and let him have it brewed elsewhere.
                  I’ll try the framework agreement you are talking about to see if we can agree.
                  Thanks again
                  Matt

Comment

Working...
                  X