Grain? Pre-Ground or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grain? Pre-Ground or not?

Grain? Pre-Ground or not? Quality/Effciency issues?
    I'm a small 3BBL startup with limited space/budget for a mill.

We opted for pre-milled when we were brewing at the 3bbl scale. It certainly saves a step but also costs ~$.05 more per pound (maybe it's increased since?). Our two biggest concerns were freshness of the specialty malts, or bags we didnt' burn through right away, and dust control. We mill A LOT more grain now at the 15bbl scale and make a fraction of the dust compared to dumping sacks and buckets into the mash tun at the 3bbl scale. If you are able to control the dust and manage the freshness of your lesser-used grains I personally think pre-milled is a very viable option. Especially if you are tight on space.

Cheers,
    Tom

Comment

Thank you for your reply

Comment

Originally posted by Rich@Midsummer View Post
        Grain? Pre-Ground or not? Quality/Effciency issues?
        I'm a small 3BBL startup with limited space/budget for a mill.
        I think Tom is right on. I would also mention that after talking with some of the manufacturers that make larger commercial grade grain mills that under 10bbl's it doesn't save you any money to mill your own grain. You would have to do it for so many years that you will likely never see the payoff. The majority of small breweries do it for the reasons Tom listed and they want to have the peace of mind that controlling their own crush gives them. I hope this helps. Good luck!

thanks,
        Drew Barnes
        Blichmann Engineering

Comment

Working...
        X