Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbonation Issue with Draft Lines

Hello everyone,

We are a new staff that has inherited an existing brewery and we are noticing some carbonation problems with our draft line system. Apparently the previous owner set the system up in order to force carb all the kegs, but now that we are carbing prior to kegging we have issues where there are inconsistencies from keg to keg after putting them on the draft system. Especially if one has been tapped for over a day or two, the carbonation level will be different from the newly tapped keg. I understand what's going on (force carbing,) but what kind of draft system should we be implementing? I don't know any terminology or where to start. Ideally the tap system would just pour from the already-carbed and not affect CO2 levels.

Thank you very much!

Originally posted by FlowRogen View Post
    Hello everyone,

We are a new staff that has inherited an existing brewery and we are noticing some carbonation problems with our draft line system. Apparently the previous owner set the system up in order to force carb all the kegs, but now that we are carbing prior to kegging we have issues where there are inconsistencies from keg to keg after putting them on the draft system. Especially if one has been tapped for over a day or two, the carbonation level will be different from the newly tapped keg. I understand what's going on (force carbing,) but what kind of draft system should we be implementing? I don't know any terminology or where to start. Ideally the tap system would just pour from the already-carbed and not affect CO2 levels.

Thank you very much!
    You might start by using a gas blender so that a portion of the gas is nitrogen. This will prevent over carbonation. Otherwise, temp, pressure, and run length are going to all be considerations when calculating the balance of your system.

Comment

Need more info. What are the problems? Too little carbonation? Too much? What temp are the kegs at? What's the pressure on them?

I learned a lot by reading this: https://www.brewersassociation.org/e...aught-quality/

Cheers,
      --
      Don
      Idyllwild Brewpub

Comment

First, download and read the Draught Beer Quality Manual linked above. It's as good as you'll find, and will answer most of your questions. Don't expect the draught system to be properly designed--few are.

Second, you really need to know what your actual carbonation levels are. This is difficult without the proper tools. The Zahm and Nagel series 1000 testers are pretty much standard, but expensive and a long wait to get one.

You'll also need a CO2 Pressure/Temperature chart and know how to read it. You can download one from the web.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
        X