Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of using hot/DAW water for bottling rinsing and jetting

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could point me towards some literature or provide me with some quantification on the impact of using deaerated water (DAW) in their bottle rinsers and jetters for generating FOB. We have a GAI MLE BIER counter pressure filler. We currently rinse and jet our beers with softened UV-filtered water. Rinse water drips out for 5-6 seconds, but the rinse heads do not blow out the bottles leaving some small volume of rinse water in the bottle. Before capping we have a water jet which generates the FOB. More or less water is used depending on the level of carbonation and the temperature of the beer.

We have just received a Hamilton Beverly for measuring DO levels. A bottle piercer will be ordered shortly for measuring DO levels in filled bottles. Colleagues have told me that they were surprised to find that enabling/disabling the bottle rinser had a significant impact on DO levels. I also know that breweries are putting in DAW plants for supplying filters, centrifuges and diluting high gravity beer with low/no oxygen water. I assume that they are also using DAW for their bottling lines. We are a relatively small operation ~3000 hl per year, so I'd be looking for a lower cost solution, but possibly drawing off water from our HLT (which presumably has lower levels of DO) for rinsing and jetting could be worthwhile? I've also heard of using hot water for jetting. I don't know if the temperature of the water is essential (for reducing oxygen pick up while it's flying through the air towards the bottle?)

I'm interested in any practical articles or real world experience that you might have here.

Thanks!

Anthony

Anthony,

We do not use deaerated water for rinsing our bottles. We run a 24 head COMAC, and have found that by adjusting the speed, bowl level, and bowl pressure, we can get the bottles capping on foam at the crowner without using the FOB jet. Our FOB jet is set up to go through a heater. We regularly get <30 ppb pickup in the filler.

In my opinion, the most important part of the filling cycle is getting a good CO2 purge of the bottle. We currently have our filler set up to purge through the fill height tube, out through the decompression path, using the bowl CO2. The vacuum is important too, but the CO2 purge is the most critical for us.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Working...
    X