Homebrewer, eager to learn brewing on a large scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrewer, eager to learn brewing on a large scale

As the title states, I am a homebrewer eager to learn brewing on a larger scale. Would like to be an assistant to learn the trade and work my way up to a head brewer position. Currently located in NE Ohio, but willing to relocate for the right position.

Originally posted by HeavyHands View Post
    As the title states, I am a homebrewer eager to learn brewing on a larger scale. Would like to be an assistant to learn the trade and work my way up to a head brewer position. Currently located in NE Ohio, but willing to relocate for the right position.
    Are you willing to rel;ocate to Columbus. Till March you will have to go back and forth between Columbus and Cincinnati Mon thru Friday

Comment

Originally posted by rpinto12 View Post
      Are you willing to rel;ocate to Columbus. Till March you will have to go back and forth between Columbus and Cincinnati Mon thru Friday
      I may be open for that relo and commute. PM me the specifics...or my email should be in my profile.

Comment

I am still looking if anybody knows of anything out there. Something in Ohio would be perfect...

Comment

Still looking. All the ads want an experienced commercial brewer, which is understandable. I'm hoping there is a brewery out there willing to do on the job training for a homebrewer who is passionate about beer.

Comment

Message me and let’s talk

Vannmatt5252@yahoo.com

Comment

Still looking to get into the brewing industry. I have applied to multiple positions including packaging, cellar work and sales. No bites as of yet.

Comment

Nothing has panned out but I am still looking.

Comment

Keep chipping away at it, if my nearly-middle-aged recovering techie ass could get into this industry, you can, too!

Be prepared to only be able to land a spot on the packaging line at first. A lot of the folks already on the packaging line are also applying to those cellarman/assistant brewer jobs, training somebody up is a big investment of time/pay, they're going to pick somebody who's time on the packaging line has proven they're gonna stick around in spite of the hard, dirty work and low pay. It sounds like dues-paying BS, but from the brewery's perspective, staff is one of the largest expenses, and any hire is big risk, especially for a smaller brewery; hiring somebody who's already thrown kegs/cases for a year and hasn't been scared off takes a big risk off the table.

The other thing I never tried, but have seen other folks succeed with, is picking up volunteer hours or super-part-time work at smaller breweries that don't have 40 hours a week of stuff to do, but may have 10 or 20. Go down to the taproom mid-afternoon, when the lunch rush has cleared out but the after-work crowd hasn't started to trickle in yet, and ask the beertender when the head brewer might be around. A lot of us were homebrewers before we were pro brewers, and will be happy to talk to you, at least as long as the yeast slurry's not hitting the fan back in the brewhouse (we have a lot of very long, very busy days, even when things are going well, don't take it personally if the response is "today is nuts, can you stop by Thursday?"). The guy who was the other assistant brewer where I work, and did an excellent job, started out as "some homebrewer out in the pub who wants to talk [head brewer]."

Good luck!
                  Last edited by feinbera; 05-20-2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Packaging line here you come

Set your sights on a packaging line position.
                    Places generally hire from with in
                    And you can pick up information on the brewery
                    A bit at a time. Be open to maintenance opportunities as well.

Comment

Are you still looking for something?

Comment

Still looking? Is Oklahoma too far?

Greetings HH,

Can you send me info on your background and experience. That is if you are still looking.

Thanks & Cheers,

Comment

Are you still looking?

We are located in VA. Let me know if you are still looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegloe View Post
                            We are located in VA. Let me know if you are still looking.
                            I am in a similar situation located in Northern Virginia.

Comment

Found a job!

I could not find where to delete a thread or may have overlooked it... so I'll update instead. At the end of July 2019 I was hired on as brewmaster at a local 2bbl brewery/taproom called BrewLounge Beer Company. Thanks to all who responded to this post!

Comment

Working...
                              X