Thread: Source of pure alcohol for sanitizing

Source of pure alcohol for sanitizing

Hi im looking for a source for alcohol without any inhibitors or extra chemicals for sanitizing in spray bottles, does anyone have a good source?

Everclear or Crystal Springs from your local liquor store are close enough, and food-grade.

ETOH is more effective for sanitizing at 70%, so no need for 100% to start with.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

thank you Timm, I suppose you'd need to be a brew pub to buy ever clear straight from the distributor eh?

Triton Chemical out of Minneapolis.
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Alcohol for sanitizing

I agree with Tim about 70% being the more effective sanitizer but you could always dilute 100% down to 70% and alot of times that will be more cost effective. Also, if you are a brewery and licensed to make beer then I can say from personal experience that ALE won't like you having ethanol (booze) on site, for that reason I would suggest isopropanol instead of ethanol. As far as a source, we buy our IPA from a local grocery store but other sources are laboratory supply companies like Fisher Scientific or your cleaning chemical supplier likely sells it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by R.Cockerell View Post
    ...or your cleaning chemical supplier likely sells it as well.
    This one, right here – we get isopropanol from the same guys that bring our caustic, PAA, etc. Cut the 100% down to 70% with CLT water in a graduated pitcher, then into the spraybottle it goes.