Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does protein haze bind hop oils ?

Hi,

I had a massive aroma problem with my Session Pilsner on the last brew.
    There was no hot break forming in the boil, I'm not sure what went wrong. Probably the pH was off, since I didn't measure it because the probe was broken, so I tried to eyeball it. The wort was extremely hazy. I even used irish moss 15 min before the end of boil. Didn't help. The wort sample remained hazy even after two days.

I dry hopped when the beer reached 5°P, sealed the fermenter (pressure rated) and spunded. That's my standard procedure that works fine with my Pale Ale. The Session Pils was a first try.
    After dry hopping for two days, I tasted a sample and it was exploding with dry hop aroma (cascade and Saphir)! Almost like juice, a bit NEIPA like.

I cold crashed after 5 days and kegged after 2 more days. Tasted a sample from the fermenter before kegging and the juicy aroma was almost completely gone. I don't exaggerate. Gone! It was a good light Pilsner without any dry hop aroma. Maybe a hint of Saphir left but zero (Hallertauer) Cascade.

And the beer was much clearer after the cold crash.

The yeast cake (with all the trub and dry hop slurry) still smelled totally juicy so I think the hop oils might have connected to the protein haze and flocked out.

Could that actually happen?

Best
    Felix
    Last edited by FelixGER; 01-02-2019, 12:24 PM.

I think the issue you are having is the hop oils sticking to the cell walls of the yeast that is why it didn't taste as hoppy as the unfiltered sample. I had the same thing with my German Pilsner. Mine wasn't dry hopped either. you can try to add some hops in a bag and place it in the bright tank to get some more hoppy flavor.

Comment

Working...
    X