Can I package warm beer? Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I package warm beer? Please Help

As of today my chiller is broken. It's going to be a few weeks before we can get a new one installed. I have 4 warm FVs right now, sitting stable around 66 deg.

What can I do with the beer? Our taproom has maybe a weeks worth of beer and our distributor is low.

I will be bottle conditioning a small amount but that doesn't help me for the immediate future.

Please Help! I've never heard of kegging warm beer and have run out of ideas.

Thanks,

Myles Perry
    Head Brewer
    Brewery Ars

You can't bottle highly carbonated beer - see various dissolved CO2 / temperature / pressure equilibrium charts for the maximum CO2 content at any given temperature. For 66 C - about, with the emphasis on about, 2 grams / litre at atmospheric pressure. Variables affecting this value include the suspended solids level and type, exact temperature and pressure, and the design and quality of your bottle filler. The problem is that if you have any higher CO2 content, the contents may well climb out of the bottle as soon as you snift the excess pressure off required to keep the additional CO2 in solution. Small bottle fillers in particular vary enormously in their ability to control the fobbing.
    dick

Comment

The reason you can't package the beer as it sits is the CO2 content, but not because it would foam up in a bottler. It's also flat, which in my mind is the greater concern. You didn't mention anything about your cold room. I don't know what the volumes involved here are, but you could keg off some of the beer, put the kegs in the cold room, wait until they're chilled, and force carb them. You could then package out of the kegs. Not ideal, but I've done it in a pinch. You could also use someone else's cold room or brite tanks. We had a batch of beer in barrels, with no vessel to put it in (don't ask). We kegged the beer out of the barrels, brought the kegs to a neighboring brewery, pushed the beer from the kegs into a brite tank, then carbed and packaged from there. Bit of a hassle, but we got beer in bottles in time for our distributor. Just a couple ideas. You might also be able to borrow a small line chiller from someone and temporarily hook it up to one tank at a time to crash it. They're pretty well self-contained and mobile. Depends on whether you're willing to take apart your system a bit. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by mpman3 View Post
        As of today my chiller is broken. It's going to be a few weeks before we can get a new one installed. I have 4 warm FVs right now, sitting stable around 66 deg.

What can I do with the beer? Our taproom has maybe a weeks worth of beer and our distributor is low.

I will be bottle conditioning a small amount but that doesn't help me for the immediate future.

Thanks,

Myles Perry
        Head Brewer
        Brewery Ars
        I would rent a chiller until the install can be done. A quick google of chiller rentals in your area presented plenty to choose from. https://www.thomasnet.com/northern-n...3936489-1.html

Comment

Echoing Dick's comments. Turn your cooler down chill kegs of the flat beer and force carb them in the keg. You want that cooler as cold as you can get without disturbing you draft lines (if they are in the same cooler).
          Joel Halbleib
          Partner / Zymurgist
          Hive and Barrel Meadery
          6302 Old La Grange Rd
          Crestwood, KY
          www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

JCY, INC. chillers has a rental chiller option for you

Morning Myles: sorry to hear about your chiller mechanical failure.
            We do from time to time have rental chiller systems that we can rent you to cover this temporary period of time while repair occures.
            Please reach out to me direct for quote.

or sandy@jcyounger.com

Cheerz Sandy
            JCY, INC.

Originally posted by mpman3 View Post

Thanks,

Myles Perry
            Head Brewer
            Brewery Ars
            J.C. Younger Company
            5626 WEST LAKE STREET
            MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55416
            (952) 929-1838

Comment

Working...
            X