Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hop back mesh bag

hi all,
    so I was wondering about what size (micron) bag or screen is typically use in a hop back? I will be using whole leaf hops in a #2 bag filter housing similar to the one available on gw kent https://www.gwkent.com/sanitary-bag-filter-2.html
    looking to keep hop leaf particles out of the H.X. but not restrict flow too much.

any feed back I much appreciated.

Muslin sacks

I stuff 4-5 of these large muslin sacks into my hop back. Each sack holds about 5# loose whole leaf hops.

Economical, food-grade large mesh bag open on one end and closed on the other end. Can be filled with hops, coffee, herbs, or anything your imagination dreams up for your newest creation. Putting hops, etc. into the bag and then tying it closed will keep the contents contained for steeping and infusing without making a mess in your vessel. Less clean-up afterwards. Price is for a bundle of 10 bags. Large mesh bag, 40" long with width stretch up to 48".
    Todd G Hicks
    BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

Not typically a loose bag...

For all but the small systems, hopbacks would not use fabric bags, but instead be constructed of stainless. V-wire or perforated metal are common. I've got one made from an old 5-element filter outfit with perforated tube strainers. Many designs out there, but a pressurized hopback is my preference.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Muslin sacks in the hop back

Hop back is about 1.5 bbls in volume, closed lid design. It is a stock Premier Stainless sized for 30 bbl brewhouse. It holds 5 big bags, each with about 5-8 # leaf hops each that are fluffed up - not tightly packed. I layer the bags in two across, two more on top of that criss crossed, and one final bag on top that covers the top inlet side port and rests up into the dome lid.

I use the large sacks for ease of spent hop removal after cooling transfer. Just lift the bags out and dispose of the hops or throw the whole thing away.
        Todd G Hicks
        BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

Working...
        X