Thread: hop back mesh bag

hop back mesh bag

hi all,
    so I was wondering about what size (micron) bag or screen is typically use in a hop back? I will be using whole leaf hops in a #2 bag filter housing similar to the one available on gw kent https://www.gwkent.com/sanitary-bag-filter-2.html
    looking to keep hop leaf particles out of the H.X. but not restrict flow too much.

any feed back I much appreciated.

Muslin sacks

I stuff 4-5 of these large muslin sacks into my hop back. Each sack holds about 5# loose whole leaf hops.

https://www.gwkent.com/infusion-stra...cs-bundle.html
    Todd G Hicks
    BeerDenizen Brewing Services
    Serda Brewing Company
    OPEN - Finally!!!

Not typically a loose bag...

For all but the small systems, hopbacks would not use fabric bags, but instead be constructed of stainless. V-wire or perforated metal are common. I've got one made from an old 5-element filter outfit with perforated tube strainers. Many designs out there, but a pressurized hopback is my preference.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Muslin sacks in the hop back

Hop back is about 1.5 bbls in volume, closed lid design. It is a stock Premier Stainless sized for 30 bbl brewhouse. It holds 5 big bags, each with about 5-8 # leaf hops each that are fluffed up - not tightly packed. I layer the bags in two across, two more on top of that criss crossed, and one final bag on top that covers the top inlet side port and rests up into the dome lid.

I use the large sacks for ease of spent hop removal after cooling transfer. Just lift the bags out and dispose of the hops or throw the whole thing away.
    Todd G Hicks
    BeerDenizen Brewing Services
    Serda Brewing Company
    OPEN - Finally!!!