Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kombucha with Ginger Juice

Hi guys

Amateur brewer here, going pro. I ferment all my Kombucha in Oak barrels and then carbonate via Brite Tank. I then add a shot of Cold pressed Ginger Juice at the bottling stage.

The result is a great drink, but there is a little sediment in the bottle.

Up until now this has not been a problem, but I am aware of it going forward, as people can be already a little conservative when it comes to the idea of Kombucha and things floating in it. It is barely visible, especially when in the glass, just in an amber bottle it forms a shadow

Currently I press the juice with an omega horizontal masticating juicer. Leave it set. Pour through cheesecloth 3 times. Then leave it set, so that the waxy white part drops to the bottom. This of course helps, but does not eliminate the sediment.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do here? I've considered adding the ginger in the Brite Tank so that it would fall to the bottom, but I'm worried it might clog the Brite Tank or Carb stone.

Are there any super fine filters out there?

Any ideas / advice most welcome.

Thank you!

If you're chilling in the brite tank it will all settle out. There is frequently spent yeast that drops out of solution to the bottom, just blow of the bottom of the tank to clear everything before you start packaging. If you're really worried about it, you can buy or make a stand pipe to put in the drain hole so most of the flocculants will settle around it. It wont plug up your carb stone, just make sure to give the stone a good caustic soak and blow it out with CO2. Occasionally you'll want to pull it apart and scrub it out, build up will occur over time. I used to work with a Kombucha production facility doing 8 bbl batches. We would juice our ginger and put it in a sanitized bucket, then throw that in the cooler. A lot of solids will rise to the top, other will drop to the bottom. We'd just scrape out the solids by hand from the top and pour the rest into the tank. Sounds like you have a better set up.

Comment

thanks for the response.

does putting the ginger juice in the fridge help settle it? will give that a go today.

will be trying juice in the brite tank this week too.

thanks!

Comment

boosting this, in case anybody has any other input?

Anyone have opinions on adding ginger before or after carbonation in the tank?

Comment

Working...
        X