Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Heating Elements

Hi,
    Just obtained some used Bubba's 3BBL equipment.
    Was wondering how I could test the heating elements in the boil kettle?
    What values should I see with a multimeter?
    Thanks,
    Rich

Originally posted by Rich@Midsummer View Post
    Hi,
    Just obtained some used Bubba's 3BBL equipment.
    Was wondering how I could test the heating elements in the boil kettle?
    What values should I see with a multimeter?
    Thanks,
    Rich
    just look for the ohms reading across each one... if they are good they will all read relatively close. the reading actually depends on the wattage and voltage (208 vs 240) ...

Comment

Thanks. Was thinking of a specific value, but I guess if they are all the same, they are either all bad or all good :-)

Hopefully its not a 50 50 split :-)

I do know that if the reading is shorted or open its definitely bad.

Comment

Thanks. Was thinking of a specific value, but I guess if they are all the same, they are either all bad or all good :-)

They usually fail one way or the other. If it's in the megohms or near zero, it's probably bad. The exact resistance varies. I have a 3 kw 220 volt element here that measures 25 ohms but using some basic electrical calculations, it should be about 16.5 ohms under load. So it doesn't really matter exactly what the resistance is when it's off. It depends on a lot of variables, and it might even vary somewhat among your elements. Usually if you're somewhere in the middle between shorted and open, they're probably ok. You don't really have the equipment to test them under load. But make sure they are not grounded.

Regards,
        Mike

Comment

I cant give you a ball park value because you never stated what wattage or voltage the elements are?
          This could help,

keep in mind most heaters are slightly less than rated as and they vary a bit from element to element.

Comment

Working...
          X