Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultrasonic to clean Carb Stones

Hello,
    Those of you that use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean your carb stones, can you tell me your exact process as far as exact chemicals, amounts and times/temps/process? I am about to order a cleaner and start using it for all small parts but the main thing is cleaning carb stones.
    Thank you!

Zahm and Nagel specifies 100 Watts/gallon of capacity. Be sure the US cleaner you're buying is powerful enough. Some of the cheap ones are pretty puny. Be sure it has a heater to keep your cleaning solution at 160F+.

I'd strongly recommend buying the largest cleaner you can afford. Once you start using it, you'll find it significantly speeds up and eases small parts cleaning. When ours broke down a few years ago, the brewer just about revolted at having to go back to hand-scrubbing everything. Ours has a 12 gallon capacity.

We use caustic lye in the cleaner, at about 1 cup/12 gallons of 160F water. We then use a passive rinse in cold water, then straight to the Grant w/PAA sanitizer. Parts are hand-washed for any heavy deposits before the US cleaner. This keeps the cleaning solution cleaner. We use the same fill of caustic and hot water for a full day.

You have to be somewhat careful with stones and sight glasses. They should not be in contact with anything else, or the stone will have its pores peened closed and the sight glasses will be scratched and fogged.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Aleworks J View Post
      Hello,
      Those of you that use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean your carb stones, can you tell me your exact process as far as exact chemicals, amounts and times/temps/process? I am about to order a cleaner and start using it for all small parts but the main thing is cleaning carb stones.
      Thank you!
      We have been having a hell of a time with a clogged carb stone. I’ve done so many acid soaks and scrubs but it wasn’t working.
      I agree with everything that Tgtimm said; but the cheap small ultrasonic cleaner that we bought on amazon worked awesome. I’ve only run one cycle but it cleaned it up nicely. We did a 480second cycle with some acid and then did another 480second cycle with clean water.

Very impressed, just upset it took me this long to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
        Zahm and Nagel specifies 100 Watts/gallon of capacity. Be sure the US cleaner you're buying is powerful enough. Some of the cheap ones are pretty puny. Be sure it has a heater to keep your cleaning solution at 160F+.

I'd strongly recommend buying the largest cleaner you can afford. Once you start using it, you'll find it significantly speeds up and eases small parts cleaning. When ours broke down a few years ago, the brewer just about revolted at having to go back to hand-scrubbing everything. Ours has a 12 gallon capacity.

We use caustic lye in the cleaner, at about 1 cup/12 gallons of 160F water. We then use a passive rinse in cold water, then straight to the Grant w/PAA sanitizer. Parts are hand-washed for any heavy deposits before the US cleaner. This keeps the cleaning solution cleaner. We use the same fill of caustic and hot water for a full day.

You have to be somewhat careful with stones and sight glasses. They should not be in contact with anything else, or the stone will have its pores peened closed and the sight glasses will be scratched and fogged.
        Timm thank you for your response. I was hoping you would see this as you seem to be the one that recommends this the most. I am going to show my new brewer side here, we have only been open for 3 months. You say straight to the grant, but can we just soak in PAA to sanitize or do we need pump it to force it through somehow?

Comment

Originally posted by Crosley View Post
          We have been having a hell of a time with a clogged carb stone. I’ve done so many acid soaks and scrubs but it wasn’t working.
          I agree with everything that Tgtimm said; but the cheap small ultrasonic cleaner that we bought on amazon worked awesome. I’ve only run one cycle but it cleaned it up nicely. We did a 480second cycle with some acid and then did another 480second cycle with clean water.

Very impressed, just upset it took me this long to buy.

I am also looking at one on Amazon. I am going to get the biggest one I can realistically afford now. Which one did you get?

Comment

We soak all our parts in a PAA solution--don't know the concentration--after the US cleaner. They live in the sanitizer grant until used.

When we CIP our fermenters, we install and include the stone in the process with forward flow through it. This includes caustic, acid, and sanitizer cycles. Then the ferm and stone are ready to use.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Aleworks J View Post
              I am also looking at one on Amazon. I am going to get the biggest one I can realistically afford now. Which one did you get?

Comment

Amazon Untyrasonic

Originally posted by Crosley View Post
                I too use the same one. Bought it from Harbor Freight. I wanted to try it and see how well it would work. When using with acid what temp are you using?

Comment

Working...
                X