Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for the name of this part (picture attached)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for the name of this part (picture attached)

I need a few of these. Can anyone help me with what it is called? I attached it to my serving tanks to put head pressure on the beer for serving or pushing beer out of the fermenter.
    Sorry the picture seems to post sideways.

Thanks
    Attached Files

That is a pretty well impossible-to-clean set up. I'd recommend you use a TC T, with a TC threaded cap for your CO2 QR and another for the gauge. Much easier to clean and fewer dedicated parts.

We had several of those or similar set-ups, and have replaced them all with what I describe above.

Here's one of ours:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-10 001 CO2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	191834

The L isn't needed, it just makes the gauge easier to read.
    Last edited by TGTimm; 01-10-2019, 10:31 AM.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

I'll second Timm's option. This is the best way to handle a pressure gauge. It's crazy where schmutz will accumulate, tubing brushes are a nuisance, and you can never get threads as clean as you'd like.

Plus, you get another spot to hang hoses. You can never have too many of those.

Comment

To answer the original question:
        Designed as pressure arm manifold with 1.5" TC connection on 2 end.
        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
        "Your results may vary"

Comment

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I do have a few T setups like that has been suggested but figured that manifold piece was just an easier/cheaper option. Didn't realize it was unsanitary. Haven't had an issue yet but will start replacing them with the T setups

Cheers

Comment

Threads are definitely another thing to eliminate as much as possible. They're almost impossible to get fully clean and sanitary.

For instance, I weld my CO2 QR fittings directly to the TC cap:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-10 002 CO2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	191835

By welding from the inside of the cap, I get a nice smooth finish that's easy to clean.

It's difficult to eliminate the threads for a gauge, but it can be done by using sanitary diaphragm fittings. We haven't gone that far yet.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Timm

That Tee piece is far in excess of good practice for cleaning. Recommended distance from the edge of the main pie to the end of the main pie to the end of the Tee is 1.5 D - this must be about 5D, and round a bend which makes it even more impossible to ensure hygiene. If you fitted the pressure gauge directly to the triclamp, that would be OK.

The photo of the PG in question had an even bigger problem in this respect....
              dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
                Timm

That Tee piece is far in excess of good practice for cleaning. Recommended distance from the edge of the main pie to the end of the main pie to the end of the Tee is 1.5 D - this must be about 5D, and round a bend which makes it even more impossible to ensure hygiene. If you fitted the pressure gauge directly to the triclamp, that would be OK.

The photo of the PG in question had an even bigger problem in this respect....
                Agreed, however I have just chosen to remove the gauge and elbow setup during CIP to swap for a cap. I then hand inspect the gauge and elbow, as well as the tee after cap is removed. Parts in PAA bucket prior to SIP cycle so if the cycle doesn’t get 100% coverage of the elbow/gauge assembly, it doesn’t really matter as they have already been sanitized (and are still wet when SIP cycle begins). The elbow is nice because it prevents blow-off from getting the gauge dirty. Obviously it doesn’t matter too much with a sanitary gauge, but helps prevent denting the diaphragm during cleaning.

If youre going direct to tee, go with an instrument tee instead. It’ll reduce that distance even more.

Comment

Good explanation of how to get round less than ideal design. Cheers
                  dick

Comment

I agree, Dick, but this is not a CIP setup. We remove all external parts from the fermenters and clean them in an ultra-sonic cleaner, then sanitize before installing.
                    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

That was my point - you gave a good explanation of your awareness of the problem and how to get round the problems of an imperfect design.
                      dick

Comment

Working...
                      X