Review of the Dixie Canner Company Double seamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of the Dixie Canner Company Double seamer

We took delivery of a Dixie double seamer last month, after reading the manual cover to cover, putting it into commission and 4 hours of seaming, the machine seized up, blew a 15 amp fuse OEM, and melted a 6 amp switch. I called and talked to the owner of the company, who also services and builds these machines, he accused me of over tightening the machine, and was very rude to me when I told him it was within spec and had been checked by a micrometer. He told me he was going to sell me a replacement switch for the one that melted since "he knew it was my fault and I overtightened it." and then finally told me he'd send one out on warranty. We got the switch a few days later, installed it, and put a new 15 amp fuse in the machine, and triple checked the seam specs. The machine worked for another 40 cans and seized up again. After calling Dixie they told me I needed to send it in. I paid 140 for shipping, a few days later they call me and tell me it doesn't look like the problem was due to over tightening.. the head had seized up and was a warrantee issue. They covered the repair but charged me return shipping. Return shipping not covered on a manufacturer defect???? These people have been very rude to me and in my opinion have very horrible customer service, the owners themselves don't want to take responsibility for anything and that is a bad sign. Im writing this to caution anyone who's entering a business relationship with Dixie. Our experience has been less than desirable.

Dan
    Last edited by Junkyard; 01-15-2019, 07:16 AM.

Huh, that's a shame. We got our Dixie Canner crowler seamer through a third party, who adjusts and maintains it, but we ran hundreds of crowlers through it with minimal trouble, only regularly lubricating and cleaning it as directed. I thought the machine was well-designed and operated smoothly. But given your experience, I'm glad we didn't go through Dixie themselves.

Comment

I'm hoping the defect I have experienced isn't common, and I'm sure it's a solid machine, but like I said my problem is more with the customer service issues. good idea going through a third party.

Comment

Let them keep it and get an Oktober seamer. This was the best purchase for our tap room.

Comment

I've been wondering about those October seamers and how repeatable the seam specs are when you manually push in the rollers?
          We seam about 15,000 750 ml crowlers a month so we needed something very reliable and repeatable and fast. I wasn't sure about the October, since it was manual levers for the rollers but I don't have any experience with them, or know anyone that does.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
            I've been wondering about those October seamers and how repeatable the seam specs are when you manually push in the rollers?
            We seam about 15,000 750 ml crowlers a month so we needed something very reliable and repeatable and fast. I wasn't sure about the October, since it was manual levers for the rollers but I don't have any experience with them, or know anyone that does.
            There is a stop for levers. We have done a few thousand so far and no problems. at 15,000 a month it sounds like you need a canning line. That is 100 Barrels a month!

Comment

Originally posted by AmbrosiaOrchard View Post
              There is a stop for levers. We have done a few thousand so far and no problems. at 15,000 a month it sounds like you need a canning line. That is 100 Barrels a month!
              Cool, that doesn't sound bad at all! We actually have a canning line, just use a manual seamer still. Only manual part of the process. We can do 1000 crowlers in a day now and with an upgrade were working on now should be able to at least double that
              Last edited by Junkyard; 01-15-2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X