Imperial stout Fermentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imperial stout Fermentation

So I just brewed my first imperial Stout. My Brewing system makes it a little difficult to do large beers on so I had to do a reiterated mash in order to get the gravity I was looking for. Having never done an imperial stout on the system before I just have a question about fermentation. I pitched the east Tuesday at 1am. I had a very vigorous fermentation going by late Tuesday afternoon and all day Wednesday. Yesterday it has dropped off to maybe 5 bubbles every 15 seconds and the temperature has dropped down to 67 degrees and this morning it is now at 66°. I don't have a means to get the temperature back up to try and get it near 68 or 70 as my fermenters are jacketed. I know the bubbles do not necessarily mean fermentation is over but what are your thoughts as far as the temperature dropping is there anything I should do or be concerned about? Three days just seems awfully fast to me.

Pretty hard to say without OG and current gravity readings, yeast strain's attenuation range, mashing temp, pitch rate and oxygenation, and dextrins contributed by malts in the grain bill. I would say, though, that having an Imperial finish in 3 days would be pretty fast.

Cheers,
    --
    Don

Comment

I once had a beer go from 1.099 to 1.024 in just under three days. Made quite a mess, and took quite a while to condition. But it's not beyond the realm of possibility. Have you taken gravity? Have you tasted it? Hard to say if anything's even wrong without that info.

Comment

Originally posted by spetrovits View Post
        I once had a beer go from 1.099 to 1.024 in just under three days. Made quite a mess, and took quite a while to condition. But it's not beyond the realm of possibility. Have you taken gravity? Have you tasted it? Hard to say if anything's even wrong without that info.

Things seem to have leveled out in the brewery. The fermenters temperature right now is 67 degrees which is perfect. The last find my brood and imperial Stout I would inch it up every day or two to reach a Max at 70 degrees I'm hoping that is a good method for this

Comment

Originally posted by spetrovits View Post
          Would you recommend I leave it at 67° or should I bring it down to 66 or 65. Right now it's kind of writing at the ambient temperature in the brewery. My only problem is I can drop it down a degree or two but I cannot really rise it a degree or two

Comment

Working...
          X