FV blowoff to brewhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FV blowoff to brewhouse

My FVs are very close to my brewhouse, and after reading a lot about low oxygen brewing, including George Fix commenting on HSA, I was wondering, what if I put my blowoff hoses into the piping going into the bottom of my mashtun and kettle? I'd imagine much of the oxygen in those vessels would be displaced with CO2. My only question is, do you think the wort would absorb some of the undesirable flavors blownoff during fermentation?

I know this is kind of an out there idea, and am not looking for "pay more attention to your pitch rates", etc. I know all that. My question is, would the wort absorb bad flavors from this method? What do you guys and girls think?

Thanks!
    Sean

I think you are looking at reducing hotside oxygen the wrong way. Hot wort doesn't absorb much oxygen, so really the only thing to do is reduce splashing and churning during vorlauf, sparge and kettle filling.
    You could vent your blowoff into the kettle, any volatile compounds coming out during fermentation will most certainly be boiled off rapidly and leave no trace.

If you are having oxidation issues, there are other, passive ways to deal with this than blanketing your vessels with CO2 from your fermenters.

Comment

A few years ago, some of the large German equipment suppliers introduce nitrogen gas purging of the brewing vessels. Since they don't do this any more (to the best of my knowledge) it obviously wasn't worth the effort. As jebzter has said - mash and wort inlets at low level are the best prevention - but you probably won't notice the difference if brewing darker ales anyway. You may notice a difference if you are brewing very pale, low flavour beers, but the rest of you brewing process will probably make a bigger difference than any brewhouse changes.
      dick

Comment

Working...
      X