Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brite tank racking arm question.

Hi all.
    I have a 15bbl brite that did not come with a racking arm. As such we had one made to fit through one of the 1.5" T.C. ports on the side of the vessel. it works like a charm for kegging using a Y and two of these filler heads from gwkent. https://www.gwkent.com/proline-ii-keg-filler.html with 1/2" hoses. I would like to use a 4-way tee (manifold) with 2 more of these set ups. the idea is that it would allow me to fill four kegs at once instead of just two.

My question is would this work being that the racking arm is only 1" diameter?

thanks for your help!

A racking arm isn't a standard component for a bright tank. Why do you need one?

Comment

The flow rate for beer through any transfer line should not exceed 6 to 9 feet per second. By this guideline a 1" line maxes out at a bit under 40 bbls per hour. Keg filling is far from a constant flow, but the 1" line should be good for speeds approaching 40 kegs per hour.

A 1.5" transfer line maxes at 90 bbls/hour. The prior post has a good point that bright tanks normally don't have racking arms. You shouldn't have sludge in a bright tank that requires use of a racking arm. If you do, maybe you should reassess your cellar practices and beer preparation.

A short standpipe in the tank outlet can prevent some bleeding of residues that have settled on the bottom of the tank, and will waste less beer. Maybe a small polish filter inline prior to the kegs?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Pivo View Post
        Hi all.
        I have a 15bbl brite that did not come with a racking arm. As such we had one made to fit through one of the 1.5" T.C. ports on the side of the vessel. it works like a charm for kegging using a Y and two of these filler heads from gwkent. https://www.gwkent.com/proline-ii-keg-filler.html with 1/2" hoses. I would like to use a 4-way tee (manifold) with 2 more of these set ups. the idea is that it would allow me to fill four kegs at once instead of just two.

My question is would this work being that the racking arm is only 1" diameter?

thanks for your help!
        Brite tanks don’t have racking arms because they’re for brite beer. Sure you can drive a nail with a crescent wrench, but if you use the tool properly, you won’t have to suboptimize other processes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brewingpro View Post
          The flow rate for beer through any transfer line should not exceed 6 to 9 feet per second. By this guideline a 1" line maxes out at a bit under 40 bbls per hour. Keg filling is far from a constant flow, but the 1" line should be good for speeds approaching 40 kegs per hour.

A 1.5" transfer line maxes at 90 bbls/hour. The prior post has a good point that bright tanks normally don't have racking arms. You shouldn't have sludge in a bright tank that requires use of a racking arm. If you do, maybe you should reassess your cellar practices and beer preparation.

A short standpipe in the tank outlet can prevent some bleeding of residues that have settled on the bottom of the tank, and will waste less beer. Maybe a small polish filter inline prior to the kegs?
          Thank you brewing pro. That answers my question.

And to the comments regarding the uselessness of a racking arm in a brite, I have found that since installing it my average final packaged yeilds have increased by about one or two 1/6bbl kegs per batch. It is especially useful on super clear pilsners and such. It might not seam to be a lot but it certainly adds up.
          I know it is unconventional but it works for me.
          Thanks for all of your replies.

Comment

Working...
          X