Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen 3068 underpitching amount

Hey folks...

Looking to use this yeast for the banana esters.
    Wyeast suggests underpitch at higher fermentation.
    Wyeast suggest 0.5 liters per barrel.

Anyone have any idea how much is an underpitch?
    Im going to brew a 6 BBL batch and wondering what the correct amount of "underpitch" would be.
    I want good banana flavor but I want my beer to attenuate as well.

Thanks to any and all for any guidance.

-Richie

3068 is a bruiser

Richie,

We've used 3068 for a long time and what I can say is that it is a beast and will produce the esters and phenols you're looking for in just about any condition you can think of. With that said we typically pitch like any other ale and ferment it at the same temp as our "clean" house yeast.

Cheers,
    Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Richiethat View Post
      Hey folks...

Looking to use this yeast for the banana esters.
      Wyeast suggests underpitch at higher fermentation.
      Wyeast suggest 0.5 liters per barrel.

Anyone have any idea how much is an underpitch?
      Im going to brew a 6 BBL batch and wondering what the correct amount of "underpitch" would be.
      I want good banana flavor but I want my beer to attenuate as well.

Thanks to any and all for any guidance.

-Richie
      underpitching adds stress to the yeast and what i also do with my Weiss strain i only give it o2 for half the knock out. that will also add stress to get the banana flavor we all are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by brewmaster 2011 View Post
        underpitching adds stress to the yeast and what i also do with my Weiss strain i only give it o2 for half the knock out. that will also add stress to get the banana flavor we all are looking for.
        I think you got that backwards. If the goal is maximum banana, then fast, heavy fermentation to create those esters. Adding more than normal O2 will get the yeast to kick out more esters. As will higher ferm temps, and lower pitches. But I could definitely be wrong, it happens all the time.

Comment

bananna bomb

Why do people think that treating yeast poorly is a good idea? (sigh) Three things will get you more esters:
          1) choose the right strain (you have)
          2) pitch at the correct amount (1MM per ML per degree plato is solid. This strain can be pitched lower for sure, but don't go super short. That's just bad brewing)
          3) INCREASE the fermentation temperature. This one is obvious, easy, and (shocker) it works!

Also, the folks at VLB or Wheinstephan did a GREAT paper on increased glucose adding to hefe esters at ASBC/MBAA Chicago a few years ago. The wonderful German man giving the talk showed all of the research, laid you a rheinheitsgabooty style 6 hour mash, and the suggested in the end that if he were brewing anywhere but DE he'd just add 5% dextrose by weight to the kettle to get the same results.

have fun!
          Larry Horwitz

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyrb1 View Post
            I think you got that backwards. If the goal is maximum banana, then fast, heavy fermentation to create those esters. Adding more than normal O2 will get the yeast to kick out more esters. As will higher ferm temps, and lower pitches. But I could definitely be wrong, it happens all the time.
            Actually, lower O2 levels in the wort will increase ester levels in the beer. O2 is required for fatty acid biosynthesis, so if O2 is limited then more acetyl CoA (fatty acid precursor) accumulates in the cell and is converted into esters. Don't decrease the levels too low though as this will lead to other problems, unless of course you are using dry yeast, which does not require aeration.
            Lallemand is a global leader in the development, production and marketing of yeast, bacteria and specialty ingredients.

Comment

Originally posted by Lallemand Eric View Post
              Actually, lower O2 levels in the wort will increase ester levels in the beer. O2 is required for fatty acid biosynthesis, so if O2 is limited then more acetyl CoA (fatty acid precursor) accumulates in the cell and is converted into esters. Don't decrease the levels too low though as this will lead to other problems, unless of course you are using dry yeast, which does not require aeration.
              Good to know, it's been a while but I picked my idea up from a seminar a while back from a reputable hefe brewer. Your's seems to be backed by actual science. I'll give low-er O2 a shot on my next hefe brew, although "MORE ESTERZZZZ" isn't always the goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Horwitz View Post
                Also, the folks at VLB or Wheinstephan did a GREAT paper on increased glucose adding to hefe esters at ASBC/MBAA Chicago a few years ago... just add 5% dextrose by weight to the kettle to get the same results. have fun!
                Larry - did they also measure the results on phenols?
                Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                "Your results may vary"

Comment

Working...
                X