External keg cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External keg cleaning

What is your process for the external cleaning of your kegs PRIOR to going on the keg washer?

Soap, warm water, Scotchbrite pads and elbow grease.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
      Soap, warm water, Scotchbrite pads and elbow grease.
      I wash mine in my 3 bay sink manually. Once cleaned I run hot water over it and scrub them if needed. They usually are not too dirty though.

Comment

My only prior to the washer is to caustic soak the stems. I mix up a solution with HLT water and fill each stem. Let them soak for 20 mins or so. Rinse em off after the soak and before the auto washer.

When I run the kegs on the washer, I like to use a mild caustic solution and a green scrubbie (generic brand of course) to scrub them quick during the hot caustic cycle. The kegs clean super easy this way and can even be rinsed with the hose quick if you are fast enough. Works awesome for those kegs you got back from the BBQ smokehouse that are covered in grease.

I took a page from when I was steam cleaning kegs and found this approach works awesome.

Comment

We use a non-caustic foaming wash. (The specific product is called "Wallop" from Alpha Chemical.)

We run it though a spray foamer (like this one ) - I'm sure cheaper ones would work, but I like that this one is stainless and pretty robust (meaning the cellar folks haven't broken it yet.)

We do about 6-8 at a time:

-Spray them down with foam
          -Let the foam sit for a minute or a few
          -Hit them with a long-handled brush. (We have two brushes: One for the nasty outsides and a smaller one that is only used on the inside of the spear area [so we aren't spreading all the nastiness on to a beer-contact surface.])
          -Pop the foamer QD off the spray nozzle and spray down with hot water

They usually start with the kegs inverted to do the gross bottoms first, then flip over and do the top and spear area.

We started doing them like this a few months ago and are very happy with the results.

Clean kegs are happy kegs!

Cheers- Mike

Comment

Working...
          X