Cans with misplaced shrink sleeves by Mossberg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cans with misplaced shrink sleeves by Mossberg

I recently started canning my products and started getting seemingly random leakers.
    At first I assumed it was me or that I did not have my seamer set-up correctly.
    After extensive fine tuning the seamer I continued to get these pull-you-hair-out random leaking cans.

I cut down the leakers and discovered the shrink sleeve (label/artwork) was placed high up under the body hook of the can and the cans were leaking at that exact same spot. Some you could see, but with others there is 0.030" of clear plastic beyond the edge of the art so they are nearly impossible to detect visually and you have to feel under the hook with your fingernail to catch the bad cans.

Mossberg insisted that I send them seamed leaking cans so they could inspect my seams. I refused; one I tossed the early leakers weeks ago, two the others were all cut down for analysis. I sent them photos of the clearly high placed shrink sleeves and offered to send them as many of the unprocessed bad cans as they needed but they were only interested in seeing my seams. I stated that sending them seamed cans served no purpose because the seams would obviously be out of specification due to the extra thickness of plastic holding the seam open.

So Mossberg "fired" me as a customer! I don't know why they couldn't just man-up and say sorry this is rare but obviously we screwed up.

Mossberg did refund me the cost of the bad cans but my total cost was much higher; FOB, tossed product, hours troubleshooting and more hours sorting. For those out there using pre-shinked cans, beware of this issue. I am fortunate that I found this during short shake-down runs and didn't have cases of product leaking all over itself.

Also, one way to rate a supplier is how they act when things go wrong.

I'm on the other side of the world from you but I have worked with Ryan at FastTrack and he has done right by me on several occaisons.

Comment

Thanks, I'm going to give Can Source a try...

Here is a bad can that got past my inspection, you can see the sleeve running up under the seam...
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Mossberg Leaker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	191838

Comment

Welcome to the annoying world of sleeved cans. Switch to labels asap and all your problems will be solved.

Comment

Labels?

I've canned sleeves, labels, and printed cans. By FAR the easiest is printed. Otherwise I like sleeves. Just need to do it right. Labels are a PITA, IMO. The machines required to apply them never work as well as they should. And they are expensive.
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by jmckearn View Post
            I'm on the other side of the world from you but I have worked with Ryan at FastTrack and he has done right by me on several occaisons.
            Ryan @ Fast Track is a great dude!

Comment

Working...
            X