Brewery Hose Sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewery Hose Sizing

Hello we are a 4 month old brewery using a 3 BBL Colorado Brew System. As far as brewery hose, we are currently using 1/2 inch ID Silicon tubing for all cleaning and transfers etc. We are chilling using two counterflow chillers daisychained together and pumping with a chugger maxx. I will list the pump specs at the end of the post.
    I am not getting a great clean using the CIP and chugger so as soon as I can, I am going to upgrade my pump. At the very least, I am going to run this pump from harbor freight for CIP only as others on here have suggested. https://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-p...gph-63320.html
    I will likely continue knockout and transfers with the Chugger Maxx until I can upgrade my chilling method as well and then upgrade pump and chiller at the same time.
    I want to upgrade to brewery hose for sanitation purposes. What size of hose with sanitary crimped ends should I be looking at? 3/4 transfer with 1 inch for suction? I do not want to go any larger than I need to for cost and handling aspects.
    My kettle to the furthest tank is 20 feet.
    Thanks for any input!

I was advised to use 1" id hose. I've also seen information advising to use the same ID as the inlet on the pump. Also, I know guys who buy this stuff by the roll for their cold side transfers https://www.gwkent.com/1in-goodyear-nutriflo-hose.html
    Also keep the inlet side short if possible. These pumps are meant to push the liquid.
    Last edited by AGB; 02-12-2019, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Gray Vintner Food Rubber Transfer Hose with TC ends. Contitech Vintner is the first crushproof hose in the winery & brewery industry.

3/4 -1 1/2 HP Topline C100md Portable Centrifugal Pump built for tough conditions found in a craft brewery, microbrewery, craft cidery, etc.
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

Be careful getting hose that’s too wide if you’re sticking with your Chugger Max for knockout and t/f to vessels. I run a max in my home/test system and it’ll do the job with a 1” line, but I had troubles with a standard March/chugger with 1” hoses (column of liquid was too much).

For CIP I think you’ll want a bigger pump, period. I can CIP my 1BBL kettle with my Max and a spike 1” spray ball, but I sure wouldn’t for your 3BBL setup. Snoop around for used, they’re out their. Feed that baby with a short, fat input line with no elbows, and keep the run to your spray ball as straight as possible.

JR
        Jeremy Reed
        Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
        The North of 48 Brewing Company
        Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

Reinforced brewery EPDM Hose
          Click image for larger version

Name:	hose size.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	318193

Comment

Working...