Thread: glycol chiller size and help

glycol chiller size and help

Hi everyone,

We are in the middle of upgrading to Stainless fermenters from plastic ones. We run a 3 BBL brewhouse.
    The new set up will be
    2 - 3BBL Tanks
    2 - 7BBL Tanks
    1 - 7BBL Brite

I would like to do 1 lager at a time, plus all the tanks will need to be cold crashed. I am hoping to find a glycol chiller in the 5k range (indoor mounted unit)

I am not exactly sure what size I need as I have heard various things from different brewers in the area. Is it possible to find something that size?

Hi Jaassh5

I had asked Lauren who serves the NE Region to reach out to you with some help sizing up a chiller system and calculating the cooling load. I hope youve been able to connect.

We also have a link on our brewery page on our site here where you can submit information on your process and we will run the different scenarios for you. https://prochiller.com/fermented-cra.../#craftbrewery

Good luck as you make the transition to the jackets vessels!

Jim VanderGiessen
    Pro Chiller Systems

Quote Originally Posted by jimvgjr View Post
    Hi Jaassh5

I had asked Lauren who serves the NE Region to reach out to you with some help sizing up a chiller system and calculating the cooling load. I hope youve been able to connect.

We also have a link on our brewery page on our site here where you can submit information on your process and we will run the different scenarios for you. https://prochiller.com/fermented-cra.../#craftbrewery

Good luck as you make the transition to the jackets vessels!

Jim VanderGiessen
    Pro Chiller Systems
    I have reached out to you guys and Im just waiting on a quote.

Quote Originally Posted by jaash5 View Post
    Hi everyone,

We are in the middle of upgrading to Stainless fermenters from plastic ones. We run a 3 BBL brewhouse.
    The new set up will be
    2 - 3BBL Tanks
    2 - 7BBL Tanks
    1 - 7BBL Brite

I would like to do 1 lager at a time, plus all the tanks will need to be cold crashed. I am hoping to find a glycol chiller in the 5k range (indoor mounted unit)

I am not exactly sure what size I need as I have heard various things from different brewers in the area. Is it possible to find something that size?
    I am curious about what is really needed myself.
    We are able to control temps on all four of our plastic 3bbl conicals in a 55-60 degree avg room with one little 1/3hp chiller right now. (You might have already seen our setup and I might be one of the various brewers you speak of lol)
    Anyway we have had 2 lagers and one ale going and had no problems keeping two lagers at 45 while keeping the ale at 64 just a week ago with the bar graph showing the chiller kicking on every few hours this way. But I question the ability to cold crash multiple fermenters at once (especially in warmer months). That said the little chiller brings temps down quite quickly imo... I do believe we will need at least 2 to 3 similar sized units if we decide to go with 4 jacketed ss 3bbl unitanks (we may keep using our brites in the walkin for true cold crashing for some beers if the chillers cant handle the low temps reliably)
    I also believe having a couple smaller chillers vs one single larger one may have advantages (backup being one of them).
    I have seen some huge variations in chiller size with 3-7bbl setups Ive visited myself.