Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Compressor Upgrade

Hey everyone,

Our Air Compressor is just not keeping up with our new keg washer and current compressed air demands of our 20 bbl system. We obtained a 4 head washer from Brew Fab in St. Pete, (FL). Are there any recommendations (manufacturer and size) for an air compressor that can support a 20 bbl brewhouse that made 1756 bbls last year and planning on increasing that volume by 30%? I would like a size and manufacturer with a solid reputation so that I don't have to deal with this issue for at least another 5 years.

Thanks,

I can't say enough good things about our Kaeser Air Center. It's quiet, reliable and their customer service is top notch. They'll help you size the unit for your needs and future growth.

Comment

Seen many installations but my favorite is Ingersoll Rand. Pricey, yes, but well worth the investment. Get the drying unit too. Don’t be surprised when it’s a $5K quote for your application.

You want a rotary screw type for longevity and performance. Avoid Home Depot/Lowe’s models. There are some good threads on this forum regarding this issue too.

Comment

We just installed a 5hp atlas copco screw compressor at our place. Great compressor and we got the model with a built in dryer. It was one of the most affordable I could find coming from a top brand. And you can order direct from their website. Plenty of extra room for growth even for a 20 BBL brewery. Canning line keg washer etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
          We just installed a 5hp atlas copco screw compressor at our place. Great compressor and we got the model with a built in dryer. It was one of the most affordable I could find coming from a top brand. And you can order direct from their website. Plenty of extra room for growth even for a 20 BBL brewery. Canning line keg washer etc.
          Which model was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got one of those...

GX2FF. Extremely quiet and so far very reliable. We don't package kegs, so not sure if it would keep up with keg washer. But 15 kegs a day is really low use, so I think it would. In any case, get an air drier! Your pneumatic system will thank you with many years of trouble-free service.
            Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I bought here
              Air Compressors Direct is an online store, specializing in air compressors. Buy direct from an air compressor dealer. Free Shipping.

Get a dryer, filter unit also and auto blowdown on tank.
              And buy the plastic mounting pads for the feet - really quiets it down.
              Edit - second the secondary reservoir at the place of use, ie. right by the keg cleaner ect.
              Last edited by Ted Briggs; 02-06-2019, 07:34 AM.
              Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
              tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
              "Your results may vary"

Comment

We installed an 5 hp Ingersol Rand rotary screw comp. a couple of years ago. We also installed an IR refrigerated air dryer to match. I can't remember how we got by before on our antique piston-type without dryer.

Get the biggest reservoir you can. This cuts down on compressor short-cycling, which is hard on motors, and gives you the reserve for burst of air such as a keg washer uses. We installed compressor tanks at or near all of our high-use machines, too, which really helps.
                Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Fs

I'm a fan of the FS Curtis scroll compressors. +1 on Teds extras: dryer, blowdown, spare tank etc. Also aircompressorsdirect.com is awesome. I've bought several units from them and have been VERY happy. They stock all of the maintenance goodies you'll need to. (Scroll oil is very expensive...keep your filters fresh)
                  Larry Horwitz

Comment

Working...
                  X